Chain plates on Hunter Legend 290 (year 2000)

Nov 27, 2018
Hunter H290 Portsmouth
Dear Sailor Friends and Hunter Legend Owners.
Recently I had a rig inspection on my newly bought Hunter Legend 290. During the inspection it was discovered that my port side chain plate has shorter bolts (please see the picture) which don't go fully through the nut as they do on the starboard side (see picture attached).
I believe both plates are original as is the standing rigging.
My questions are:
1) Does anyone have a picture or a drawing of the chain plate used on the HL290? Are those bolts part of the plate?
2) How complex job is it to replace it? Does it need to be replaced?
3) Is it relatively safe to sail as it is? Has anyone had a similar situation?
Many thanks,
Fair winds,
Szymon

Attachments

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
As I'm looking at the first picture, the nut/washer/bolt on the left appears to be fine. However, and this may be an optical illusion, the right one looks like it could be cross threaded and not able to be dogged down all the way. Or did you loosen it?

The 2nd picture looks like all the n/w/b's in every boat I've been on with the bolts protruding inside the boat, and usually too far and needing to be either cut off or covered with a plastic cap or plastic nut for a (very) little bit of protection.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think @Captain Ron 18 might be right. Have you tried taking the nut off and replacing it? If the threads are damaged on the bolt then you probably have to replace it. You might be able to get a thread cutter and clean up the bolt's threads and then put a new nut on it. I'd add some lock tight to that if you end up altering the threads some.