CETOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SEAN

I've finally finished stripping the teak down to bare wood. I've seen all of the comments on what is best to use on teak. I've checked out boats that have used Cetol, and they look pretty good. The only thing I would like to know is how hard is it to remove? I don't think I want to go through anything like varnish removal again. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Sean--CARNABY STREET

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Cetol removal

I believe you'd have to strip it off like varnish but it would be much easier since it's so soft. You might be able to sand it off too without too much trouble. BTW, have you checked out Armada or West Marine's Wood Pro yet? They're both, IMHO, a "woodier" color, instead of the orangy Cetol color. They're also very similar products, claiming similar lifespans with the same application techniques. Just another option! LaDonna

R

Rodd C.

Just finished my teak

I just finished doing my teak with Cetol. Last time it was done was 1995 and it was done with Cetol then. I did nothing to it in those five years and it still looked good. I sand all my teak bare then clean it then wipe it with acetone then put five coats of Cetol. I probably could have gone another year but spring fever hit and I needed something to do. The reason I don't put a touch up coat each year is because I prefer to remove all my teak to finish it (I hate oop's all over my boat). The Cetol is great, I will never Varnish outside teak again and I like the look of it. BTW my interior is all Epifannes High Gloss Varnish. I live in Maine and have been aboard many Hinkley's done with Cetol so don't let the varnish snobs get to you!

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

3 coats

They recommend 3 coats and touch up when needed for me that's about every other year w/ a lite sanding. To remove it all, I'd sand it but that's not needed if you do the lite sanding and touch up when needed. Sounds like Rodd has figured out how to avoid the touch up 5 coats:) Mike

K

Kevin

Cetol, great stuff

Cetol is great stuff, just a light sanding on exposed wood every year and a quick once over with the Cetol to touch up and that's it. I recommend it heartily. Sail lots, sand little. Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.