Cavitating Tohatsu 3.5hp 4-stroke on Zodiac Zoom Air

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Hi there,

I have a ten-year-old Tohatsu 3.5hp 4-stroke mid-length shaft that cavitates like crazy as soon as I get on step on my 8' zodiac Zoom air inflatable. Adjusting the shaft tile to fully vertical helped a bit, I've tried mounting it higher and lower, and the propeller is apparently original with no adjustments available. Any thoughts? The prop is at least 3" under water.

Thanks!

Attachments

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Is it sucking air from the surface or actually caveatting? Sucking air is normally prevented by the horizontal plate above the prop. If there is a bur on the lower end that disturbs the water it can provide a path for air to get to the prop. Actual caveattion is caused by the pressure behind the prop (forward side looking at the boat) blades getting lower than the vapor pressure of the water and the water turns to steam. Note that caveattion does not normally cause loss of thrust but does erode the prop as the steam bubbles collapse and water hammer the prop while sucking air will let the motor rev up as the prop is running in air. Look at the low pressure side of the prop for pieces of paint missing, usually along the outer edges.
good luck

Feb 24, 2014
Hunter 376 Havre de Grace
Sounds like the motor shaft is too short and does not accommodate depth of the hull and associated dead rise angle.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Sounds like the motor shaft is too short and does not accommodate depth of the hull and associated dead rise angle.
That could be. The shaft is the mid-length version and the dinghy calls for a short shaft, so if this is so this is surprising. The prop is several inches under the water, as shown in one of the photos.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Yes. When you speed up the hull rides higher in the water. It's a shaft length problem. If you could lower the mounting point (such as notching the transom where the motor sits) it should improve.

Ken

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
That motor looks like a standard length motor. Ken Cross says to cut your transom down and that is probably what you will have to do. Cavitation as almost always a prop too close to the surface. Porpoising of an 8' inflatable is usually caused by improper angle. Put your motor into a water barrel and submerge it exactly the depth it has while on the transom with it in gear to verify our contentions. As Ken points out though: this can't simulate the rise of the transom when moving. I think the barrel test will cavitate anyway. Chief

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I guess it is a matter of how it is being used. I have the same boat with a wood slats floor and an inflatable V rib in the bottom. When the boat is on plane it will rise up in the water a couple of inches and that would be enough to get your prop too close to the surface of the water. I purchased mine to get to shore and back and carry provisions and never get it on plane nor have had any cavitation problems. Used to run a 5HP Tohatsu but replaced the heavy engine with one of the last 3.3HP Mercury two strokes engines to be legally sold (19 lbs.). Have you tried shifting your weight farther back? At 8' these boats were hardly intended to be fast anchorage cruisers.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Is it sucking air from the surface or actually caveatting? Sucking air is normally prevented by the horizontal plate above the prop. If there is a bur on the lower end that disturbs the water it can provide a path for air to get to the prop. Actual caveattion is caused by the pressure behind the prop (forward side looking at the boat) blades getting lower than the vapor pressure of the water and the water turns to steam. Note that caveattion does not normally cause loss of thrust but does erode the prop as the steam bubbles collapse and water hammer the prop while sucking air will let the motor rev up as the prop is running in air. Look at the low pressure side of the prop for pieces of paint missing, usually along the outer edges.
good luck
THANK YOU, Bill Roosa! I HATE when people mis-use the terms "ventilate" and "cavitate" when discussing propellers. I've met plenty of boats that will ventilate in chop or aggressive turns, but few that cavitate. And why the industry calls the plate above the prop an "anti-cavitation plate" is beyond me, considering it's really an anti-ventilation plate.

Sorry, ChiefRA, I like your posts, but it's still ventilation, not cavitation. :D

God, I am such a pedant. It's my own fault.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
No problem Brian, I just try to help and sometimes I can use the wrong term. This sure isn't one of my fields of expertise! Thats the main reason when in one of my fields of expertise I indicate I am an Engineer sometimes so people will know "from which it comes"!
Chief

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
THANK YOU, Bill Roosa! I HATE when people mis-use the terms "ventilate" and "cavitate" when discussing propellers. I've met plenty of boats that will ventilate in chop or aggressive turns, but few that cavitate. And why the industry calls the plate above the prop an "anti-cavitation plate" is beyond me, considering it's really an anti-ventilation plate.

Sorry, ChiefRA, I like your posts, but it's still ventilation, not cavitation. :D

God, I am such a pedant. It's my own fault.

Thank you Brian. Been biting my tongue to not say that. Takes a VERY very hi speed prop to "cavitate", and when it does, it make s a lot of noise. But since we can't SEE each other, precise terminology can be important

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Thank you Brian. Been biting my tongue to not say that. Takes a VERY very hi speed prop to "cavitate", and when it does, it make s a lot of noise. But since we can't SEE each other, precise terminology can be important
And submarines. They turn those props slowly so there isn't enough of a pressure drop to cavitate across the blades, 'cos that would be VERY noisy. And subs don't like to be noisy. :D

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
No problem Brian, I just try to help and sometimes I can use the wrong term. This sure isn't one of my fields of expertise! Thats the main reason when in one of my fields of expertise I indicate I am an Engineer sometimes so people will know "from which it comes"!
Chief
Oh, you're an engineer? NOW we're in trouble! :D:D:D Just kidding, I'm just a pedant! I really do appreciate your posts. Heck, you don't have to know the right words, or the physics of stuff, to know what works well from experience. I only know most of my stuff because of others I've learned from!

Jun 6, 2006
your welcome!
words have meaning and being a former commander of some special forces soldiers I can tall you those rascals pushed that concept to the limit (as they should BTW). things like "Don't be coming in after curfew" So they didn't! Curfew came and they did not come in after curfew (little snots!) Should have said "Be sure you are in before curfew"

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
I guess it is a matter of how it is being used. I have the same boat with a wood slats floor and an inflatable V rib in the bottom. When the boat is on plane it will rise up in the water a couple of inches and that would be enough to get your prop too close to the surface of the water. I purchased mine to get to shore and back and carry provisions and never get it on plane nor have had any cavitation problems. Used to run a 5HP Tohatsu but replaced the heavy engine with one of the last 3.3HP Mercury two strokes engines to be legally sold (19 lbs.). Have you tried shifting your weight farther back? At 8' these boats were hardly intended to be fast anchorage cruisers.
That is very helpful to hear that the boat may rise a couple of inches, and it makes sense.
And submarines. They turn those props slowly so there isn't enough of a pressure drop to cavitate across the blades, 'cos that would be VERY noisy. And subs don't like to be noisy. :D
Wow that's really interesting, and so pertinent to the discussion!

That motor looks like a standard length motor. Ken Cross says to cut your transom down and that is probably what you will have to do. Cavitation as almost always a prop too close to the surface. Porpoising of an 8' inflatable is usually caused by improper angle. Put your motor into a water barrel and submerge it exactly the depth it has while on the transom with it in gear to verify our contentions. As Ken points out though: this can't simulate the rise of the transom when moving. I think the barrel test will cavitate anyway. Chief
Thanks for that. The PO said that it was a "mid-length," but maybe it is just a "short" 15" shaft. Do you know exactly where to measure it? The dinghy manual calls for a "short shaft."

I just bought this boat brand-new and I am very apprehensive about cutting the transom! Maybe a motor with a longer shaft? Shame because I got this one for $400 and it's an immaculate fresh-water only motor.

good luck
It is a black plastic prop with no signs of wear.

Jun 6, 2006
Caveatation would erode a plastic prop in short order so I'm thinking that looking at the lower end while on plane might show where the air is getting in to ventilate the prop. Should see a stream of air "clinging" to the lower end and leading to the prop

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
You can get a zodiac to plane with a 3.5 hp? I have a 4hp (2 stroke) on my air deck Seabright 230 (7.5 ft) inflatable and can't get it to plane