Catalina 38

Oct 25, 2020
catalina 30 SF
I’m looking to buy my 3rd Catalina and I’ve had a 27 and 30 and was wondering if the 38 was known for this happening also or I’d it just the smaller boats?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes Vince I believe it does happen. By "it" I assume from your statement that:
  1. You are wondering if Catalina Owners are satisfied with their boats and so when getting the urge to buy bigger they buy another Catalina. YES
  2. Even though happy with their boat, when they have been on the boat for awhile they recognize that their needs for space feel just a little cramped. So they start to look about and sure enough the fall into Infatuation with that boat just a way down the dock. It is 2 maybe 3 feet longer, yet has so much more room.
Then before you can say Jacks your Uncle, they are talking to a broker about their needs and asking can you get top dollar for my old boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Possibly... Good Catch Holmes. :clap:
Perhaps why Vince has not come back.
It is always good to bury the lead.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Assuming this is really about the “smile” I found this in the Cat 38 link that @Stu Jackson posted. It would seem that at least some of the 38’s had wood incorporated into the keel “structure” so it would seem reasonable that the smile would likely occur on those. Lots of info on how to address the smile on lots of boats from that era so I’m not sure what the concern is???
3DD3056A-AAF4-4E92-A6FD-C38D2E462935.jpeg

Oct 25, 2020
catalina 30 SF
Thanks guys looked at the boat today it was priced to sell @ $12,000, but the bilge had water in it and something was running down from underneath the engine direct center so with these observations I’m taking duality’s advice and saving up and getting something a little more complete.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
We looked at 38, 40, and 350 on the same day, all about the same price. The 350 was newer for basically the same money. The centerline aft master on the 38 and 40 was hard to turn down but the 350s have a very roomy and accessible v berth 6'8" headroom and a larger cockpit. The 40 has 2 wheels if that's important to you. We liked the ez access to the water with the 40.

The bottom line ... you cant go wrong with any of them.

May 26, 2004
Catalina 380 New Castle, NH
I have a 2000 380 that has no smile (one the keel - big one on my face!). Very sound boat with great space and amenities. Mine is (reluctantly) up for sale, as it happens.

Apr 9, 2016
Catalina 350 48 Santa Barbara
I agree you should look at the 350. I get the space thing. We own a 350 and it has a beam of 13’. I can’t explain how much room is down below but I don’t think the 40 even has a 13’ beam.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Hi Vince.
Been through the same myself.

Started with a C-22. Had no idea how to sail and what was what. My pilot experience helped a bit, after all, wind is wind!
Ha.

Well after about 6 years, 6 years worth of dock rental, upgrade from hanking to furling and the normal wood work and up keep, I dreamed of bigger.

Bought a 1977 C-30 and spent 12 years (with the help of MANY on this forum) and thousands of dollars and hours keeping her (and me) happy.

This last summer, I spent 3 months stripping her topsides down to nothing, drilling, sanding, filling, more sanding, more filling, painting, more sanding, more painting, her topsides were a thing of beauty.

Murphy's law hit me and I am in the middle of a hidden crack/hole/breach in the Atomic 4 and am fighting some type of water leak in the crankcase.
I will fix that, hopefully before spring. And I will sell her.

But enough is enough. I started thinking about the struggle to get in and out of the water at age 58, the contortions of upkeep on a soon to be 50 year old boat and starting dreaming of bigger.

Just finalized purchased on a Catalina 380. I looked at the C-36, but for some reason the aftstateroom just appealed to me over the C-36.

So my journey is nearly complete. From the perfect size and transferability of the C-22 to the "I am a yachtsman" size of the C-30 with it's HUGE interior, galley and REAL head to my 'final' stop at the C-380....

But you're not really a boat owner till you own something over 40', right?

Some day....some day.

I wish you good luck!!!!!
Chris