Catalina 315

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I just purchased a Catalina 315 and I would like to see if there is anyone out there who wants to exchange information, tips etc.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@stephen_i_w Welcome to the forum.
You can go one of two ways here. You can limit your activity to just Catalina 315 boat owners, or you can open your questions and sharing to the vast friendly sailors of all types of boats including Catalinas.

Some of us realize that while our boats were built by a single manufacturer, all of the manufacturers used non boat builder parts to assemble their boats (unlike cars). So when you have a problem with your water heater, you'll find 20 different boat manufacturers used one of 3 water heaters in their build. We tend to have the same issues no matter which builder.

Have fun and share a picture of your new girlfriend.

Aug 21, 2019
@stephen_i_w Welcome to the forum.
You can go one of two ways here. You can limit your activity to just Catalina 315 boat owners, or you can open your questions and sharing to the vast friendly sailors of all types of boats including Catalinas.

Some of us realize that while our boats were built by a single manufacturer, all of the manufacturers used non boat builder parts to assemble their boats (unlike cars). So when you have a problem with your water heater, you'll find 20 different boat manufacturers used one of 3 water heaters in their build. We tend to have the same issues no matter which builder.

Have fun and share a picture of your new girlfriend.
Thank you for your comment. I agree that we often do have the same issue and of course I am very interested in exchanging information with sailors of all sorts of boats. Your are quite right that most components are common to many sailboat make/models. I do think, however, there may be some issues unique to the 315. So, for those issues it will be nice to get those points of view as well.

BTW, except for some head sail furler issues, she seems to be a great boat. She is much faster and points way better than my previous boat (Com-pac 27) I will send a picture of my new girlfriend once I have one of her under sail.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
What year is your 315? In the short time I've had my C310 I'm very happy to step up from an O'day 25. Sure my O'Day 25 was cheap fun, but the C310 is such a nicer boat to spend time on for us. Our boat condition was excellent and my items I have addressed are replaced the traveler lines, replace the last 2 coolant hoses that were original, replaced the joker valve.

Oh just remember I did have a leak in the forward Vbirth hatch, screws were loose, but I also used did a quick bead of sealant around the edge since I did not have time to pull and use Mainesail's Butyl tape, which I plan to do some time this fall.

Last edited:

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
The 309,310 and your 315 are in the same class and have some of the same features. As mention before we are here to help so you can enjoy your new toy.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
My "new" 315 is a 2013 model year. One thing I have learned is that with boats there is always an issue.
Cool, 10 years newer, so less problems:) I'm planning a new bimini this fall by a local shop and next June / July haul out for bottom job and new stuffing box since that is still the original one from 2003. Maybe it isn't needed but I figured might as well address before an issue.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
The 309,310 and your 315 are in the same class and have some of the same features. As mention before we are here to help so you can enjoy your new toy.
I agree with everyone, WELCOME, look forward to the new girlfriend/mistress photos!
We re all here to help!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
The 315 has some interesting details and looks like it is nicely optioned. I wonder how it sails vs the 310, to me looks like the deckhouse is entirely different and the mast looks pushed forward to make it a fractional rig vs masthead rig on 310. That aluminum toe rail is a nice option that would be welcomed for sure for adjustability, our molded toe rail is nice looking at least.

Really wish we had a lot more active sailboats on our lake.

Oct 3, 2011
I wish more owners joined their respective organizations as it benefits all owners, including SBO and Catalina and adds to your resale value along with support!

Aug 21, 2019
As I write this we decided to stay another day in lovely Detour Village MI. Two weeks on my c-315 and no talk of divorce yet. This boat has certainly exceeded my expectations as to comfort, boat handing and sailing performance. I am glad I bought it!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am glad I bought it!
Nice.
For some it is said the two best boat days are the day it is bought and the day it is sold.

I think those individuals never really connect with their boat. 2 weeks is a good honeymoon. No divorce may mean you were destined to meet. May you enjoy a long and adventurous experience together.

Oct 3, 2011
As I write this we decided to stay another day in lovely Detour Village MI. Two weeks on my c-315 and no talk of divorce yet. This boat has certainly exceeded my expectations as to comfort, boat handing and sailing performance. I am glad I bought it!
When you can keep us updated and Or Write a travel log to get published in Mainsheet!
Looking forward to hear of your Destination also!