Catalina 310 lists to port

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
We are looking to buy a 2002 Catalina 310 and found one in good condition except it lists to port. very noticeable, about 10 degrees. have not bought the boat and won't until we figure out how to set it straight. There are 5 deep cycle batteries on the port side, weigh about 60 lbs each so 300 lbs. I guess the owner wanted to run the TV and microwave while at anchor? Anyway it takes 300 lbs on the starboard side to get it level. I know the boat is only supposed to have 2 batteries on the port side from the manual. Any ideas?

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Remove some of the batteries?

I don't know about the 310, but the Catalina 30s tended to have a port list. It was not a bug but a feature! But 10-deg. is quite a bit. Then again, so are 5 deep cycle batteries!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well since we share waters in the Puget Sound, and the wind does not always blow, you could consider adding a fuel tank to the Starboard side. Diesel Fuel has a rough weight of 7 pound a gallon. A 42 gallon tank when full would get you back to even keel. If you burn half a gallon an hour and you average 5.5 knots that would give you a range of 460 NM. You could get from Seattle to the top of Vancouver island and back to Campbell River BC before you needed to add any fuel to the tank. Of course you'd likely need to sit a couple of 150 lbs friends on the starboard side our maybe a guy of 180 and a girl of 120. But for most of the cruise you would have a balanced boat.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Well since we share waters in the Puget Sound, and the wind does not always blow, you could consider adding a fuel tank to the Starboard side. Diesel Fuel has a rough weight of 7 pound a gallon. A 42 gallon tank when full would get you back to even keel. If you burn half a gallon an hour and you average 5.5 knots that would give you a range of 460 NM. You could get from Seattle to the top of Vancouver island and back to Campbell River BC before you needed to add any fuel to the tank. Of course you'd likely need to sit a couple of 150 lbs friends on the starboard side our maybe a guy of 180 and a girl of 120. But for most of the cruise you would have a balanced boat.
While adding extra weight to starboard should counteract the port list, in whole or in part, it's not going to help the performance of the boat. If it were me, I'd toss the TV and the microwave along with the extra batteries needed to power them. But that's personal preference, of course.

Oct 22, 2014
I was going to go that way Alan and from a "Sailing purest" it makes sense, but thought it more fun to play with the fuel calc.

Being spoiled with about 160 gallons of fuel capacity, I can power through about 1500 nm of no wind conditions. Perfect for the sometimes calm summers we get in the Pacific NW.

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
Thank you for the replies. Going to ponder solutions tomorrow aboard the vessel. I suppose we could hire 3 large children at 100 lbs each to sit starboard as we go along. Batteries are clearly an issue but not 100% of the problem. I have been unable to find a schematic for the Catalina 310 that shows a cutaway view of all tanks. Only the electrical and top side in the manual.

Oct 22, 2014
There are lots of pictures online, but did not see any boat plans. You may need to just go aboard and start lifting seats and opening cupboards.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
10 deg seems like a lot to me. My 2003 310 has 4 golf cart batteries and a single 12v deep cycle for starting and it is maybe a few degrees to port. The holding tank is port side also so if that needs pump out, there is 15 gallons there of weight. I've thought of moving batteries around but that is just making a project that isn't really needed. I just tell everyone to sit on the starboard side when we are motoring...

Are you really sure about 10 degrees at rest? I've found our boat to move around a lot at the slip, especially if four of us are on board and doing stuff. Our TV is just a small flat screen with a DVD player. There is an invertor next to the TV to run it but the microwave is only on shore power.

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
Yes I am sure about the 10 degrees. At the dock you are looking at the dock on the port side and the sky on the starboard side! With a 3 foot rule to make it plumb there is a 1 1/2 inch gap. The two of us weigh 300 lbs and that corrects it when we are in the cockpit. The list is so bad I slide off the seat on the starboard side in the cabin.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Sounds like the PO (all of whom are idiots) should have stayed home to enjoy his toys rather than venturing into nature to enjoy its many splendors.

I had a much lesser problem with a starboard list and moved a few batteries around to balance the load. Remember, moving one of your existing port batteries to starboard is the same as adding 120 lbs. of ballast to your port.

If it were me, I would dump two of the deep cycle batteries as they are not needed unless you choose to retain the amusement park on board. Also, not familiar with the support floor in the lazarette of the Catalina 310, but is it even acceptable to load 300 lbs in there ? Or are the batteries distributed along the port side which would be a little more acceptable.

As the PO sounds a little unbalanced :dancing::dancing::dancing: with the batteries and trinkets, you might want to take a really close look at all parts of the boat. You have not mentioned a licensed surveyor in your original post. I think in this case, it would be mandatory to have a surveyor's report before purchasing this particular boat.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Yes I am sure about the 10 degrees. At the dock you are looking at the dock on the port side and the sky on the starboard side! With a 3 foot rule to make it plumb there is a 1 1/2 inch gap. The two of us weigh 300 lbs and that corrects it when we are in the cockpit. The list is so bad I slide off the seat on the starboard side in the cabin.
That didn't sound right to me. 300 pounds on a Catalina 310 shouldn't cause the boat to heel 10 degrees.
So I checked your math on the 36 inch rule and 1.5 inch gap.
That's a 2.39 degree angle, not 10 degrees.

Arctan (1.5/36) = 2.39 degrees

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
It feels like 10 degrees and looks like it so not sure if the way we are measuring is correct. That is the formula we were looking for. Yes we plan on a survey but the purchase is 'as is' so I need to know I can fix this before I buy it as the owner will do nothing.

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
Sounds like the PO (all of whom are idiots) should have stayed home to enjoy his toys rather than venturing into nature to enjoy its many splendors.

I had a much lesser problem with a starboard list and moved a few batteries around to balance the load. Remember, moving one of your existing port batteries to starboard is the same as adding 120 lbs. of ballast to your port.

If it were me, I would dump two of the deep cycle batteries as they are not needed unless you choose to retain the amusement park on board. Also, not familiar with the support floor in the lazarette of the Catalina 310, but is it even acceptable to load 300 lbs in there ? Or are the batteries distributed along the port side which would be a little more acceptable.

As the PO sounds a little unbalanced :dancing::dancing::dancing: with the batteries and trinkets, you might want to take a really close look at all parts of the boat. You have not mentioned a licensed surveyor in your original post. I think in this case, it would be mandatory to have a surveyor's report before purchasing this particular boat.
Agree about the # of batteries. They are located under the port settee in front of the head. How is moving one 60 lb battery from port to starboard = adding 120 lbs ballast to port?

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
That didn't sound right to me. 300 pounds on a Catalina 310 shouldn't cause the boat to heel 10 degrees.
So I checked your math on the 36 inch rule and 1.5 inch gap.
That's a 2.39 degree angle, not 10 degrees.

Arctan (1.5/36) = 2.39 degrees
Actually since it is 1/2 of a 36 inch level, 1.5/18 which would equal 8.3 degrees

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
How is moving one 60 lb battery from port to starboard = adding 120 lbs ballast to port?
It's simple math.

1. Leave the batteries as they are and add 120# to one side.

2. Move 60# of battery to the other side, means 60# is removed from one side and added to the other.

I can help balance your checkbook, if you send it to me!:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Or, think of it as a see-saw, i.e., teetertotter.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So the answer is moving batteries can be done and to me isn't a deal breaker. I have a feeling you are looking at a boat that is known on this site too.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
It's simple math.

1. Leave the batteries as they are and add 120# to one side.

2. Move 60# of battery to the other side, means 60# is removed from one side and added to the other.

I can help balance your checkbook, if you send it to me!:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Or, think of it as a see-saw, i.e., teetertotter.
I see the way you are thinking but it takes 300 lb on starboard side to correct the list.

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
So the answer is moving batteries can be done and to me isn't ideal breaker. I have a feeling you are looking at a boat that is known on this site too.
I am curious how is it known on this site? It is a Catalina 310 for sale in Anacortes WA. would love to find anything else about it? Tess Too is the boat name.

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
BTW love the 310!
We are really interested in the boat and glad you love yours. Just trying to figure out if we can correct the list before we buy it as the boat is being sold 'as is'.