Catalina 310 history questions

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I drilled a hole in the bottom of the mast that solved the problem.
I tried a hole, didn't work. The rain comes down so hard, it fills above the lip inside the base of the mast before it can exit the hole. I'm afraid to make the hole larger than its current 1/8"

KZW

May 17, 2014
@KZW I'd swap with you if we were closer!
The deep fin keel with the batten main mast is closer to the wind and clearly faster than my wing keel and roller furling main. That being said, I can get out of the marina in the winter. Here in Choctawhatchee Bay, with prevailing winter winds from the north, the water drops almost 1.5 feet in the winter, leaving just six inches under my wing keel. The deep fin just wouldn't go into my slip. As I get older, I find it real convenient not to leave the cockpit to furl the sails. That being said, when Whit's End goes by me on Wednesday nights, I do pine for the conventional main, and fin keel. In truth, I'm better off with what I have. One must know one's limitations

There is another C-310 I run against on Wednesday's. Rummerful has the wing keel, furling main, and a three-blade feathering Kiwi prop. I used to have a fixed three-blade (very drag inducing - fully 1/2 of the hull drag) and went with a two-blade a year ago. Amazing Grace and Rummerful are now close to even, with Rummerful just a bit faster according to the numbers. It all depends upon how much attention we are paying to the sails and helm. Sometimes story telling and hydration just seem to get in the away of sailing the boat to its true potential.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I believe I drilled at least 1/4", but will check next time I get to the boat.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Perhaps my hole is too small to do the job.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I used to have a fixed three-blade (very drag inducing - fully 1/2 of the hull drag) and went with a two-blade a year ago.
Interesting change, I thought most go the other way with prop changes. My 310 has a fixed 3 and I put the transmission into reverse to lock it per the manual. My 100% freshwater boat shows a much better condition then the boats I know that have been in saltwater. I assume you increased the pitch on the 2 blade due to clearance.

There are 2 other 310s in our marina, one I've never seen leave and is in pretty poor shape. The other is identical to mine, wing keel traditional mast, but he has newer sails and does much better. Also he has more experience then me so that helps a lot. I keep going back and forth with the dutchman system but this weekend it did work well enough and my son went forward and tied the main up until we got back to our slip.

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
Thanks for the photos. When you demasted was their something in the hole that was acting as a barrier? When I was trying to run a wire for a new wind gauge it was getting blocked.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Photo is of the furling Charleston Spar mast. Note the conduits taking the wires to the top. Perhaps this was your trouble. Note: not a picture of my mast. I downloaded the picture from this site.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Thanks for the picture. A couple questions, (1) would it help if the hole was lower on the mast, ie: closer to the base? and (2) do you have 2 holes, one on each side?
Thanks...
No just the one hole. Not sure how far the tube protrudes out of the deck, but mine may be a bit higher thus the hole is lower and drains before the water level can top the tube.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I think it is 5/16"
Here is a picture of the 1/4" hole that I recently drilled in the mast base. After a rain storm there was no noticeable difference in water in the bilge. Another hole or give up? Not sure...20200422_134022.jpg
bob

KZW

May 17, 2014
Here is a picture of the 1/4" hole that I recently drilled in the mast base. After a rain storm there was no noticeable difference in water in the bilge. Another hole or give up? Not sure...View attachment 177964
bob
My experience after drilling a 5/16 hole was the same. No difference in amount of water in bilge after rain.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Have you positively identified that the water is coming from the mast base? It should show up in the front section of the bilge first. You can further eliminate sources by taking a rag and put it under where the wires come out of the tube and see if it gets wet.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Another diagnostic trick is to draw a line border with chalk in the bilge or other suspected leak source, and observe where the line is broken. Good luck!

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Have you positively identified that the water is coming from the mast base? It should show up in the front section of the bilge first. You can further eliminate sources by taking a rag and put it under where the wires come out of the tube and see if it gets wet.
Definitely coming into the front section of the bilge but have not tried your idea. Will give that a try.

KZW

May 17, 2014
On the Charleston Spar furling masts, there is a direct channel from the large opening housing the turning screw down to the bilge. Any time the wind/rain is from the aft quadrant, water entering goes directly into the bilge.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
If you determine it is coming from the mast. Your hole may have to be bigger. Another variable is how high the wire tube projects into the mast above the deck.
I"m on a mooring so any time it rains with wind it is directed from the front of the boat. If you're in a slip that would not necessarily be the case, driving the rain from the stern would direct more of the water into the mast slot.