Catalina 309 pix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2005
- - Barnegat Bay, NJ
Anybody get any pictures of the 309 down in St. Petersburg? Yes, I am very interested in seeing it.... Thanks! Susan

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
More 309 Pix

Found some more pictures of the new 309 from a dealer in florida. In some respects, the interior hints of a smaller layout of my 350. Also note the specs do call out the Fractional Rig that has been discussed briefly. Break from tradition at Catalina I guess. Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
C309 vs C310

Just checked some figures on the Catalina Yachts web site, and according to what is listed the following #s are identical for the C309 and C310: LOA, LOH, LWL, wing keel weight and beam. The displacement is 10.7 for the C310 and 10.2 for the C309. Looks like what we have is two boats that look different, but are actually very close to the same.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
As I suspected

Appears to be the C310 hull, with the C30 interior. Slightly modified deck, and a new mast with increased sail area.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
I Agree...

...with Stu. Hate to say it, but with that main cabin window, it looks like a Hunter.

T

Tom S

I think it looks

I don't think its bad looking, its just not "special" But with regards to the C310 vs 309, it does look like the same hull, but as noted , set up very different & traditional . Also the specs for the C309 looks like it will be a bit sportier boat that is listed lighter and more sail area Plus it looks like the C309 might be fractionally rigged -- pretty neat

T

Tom S

I think it looks ok

I don't think its bad looking, its just not "special" But with regards to the C310 vs 309, it does look like the same hull, but as noted , set up very different & traditional . Also the specs for the C309 looks like it will be a bit sportier boat that is listed lighter and more sail area Plus it looks like the C309 might be fractionally rigged -- pretty neat

J

Jim

Pricing

Does anyone know what the pricing will be and whether it can be bought without the in mast furler?

Mar 10, 2005
- - Barnegat Bay, NJ
pricing

All I've been told so far is that it's $10,000 less than a 310, and that the furling is standard. I haven't seen a detailed price list yet. Susan

Mar 31, 2004
Catalina 380 T Holland
Ya, It's fractional (Sort Of)

From the pictures above, the C-309 looks to be about a 95% fractional rig. The only advantage that I can see from this arrangement is that the spinnaker is high enough above the genoa to eliminate wraps around the roller furler. I have been racing a S2 7.9 with a 7/8 fractional rig for the past 19 years, and appreciate what the ability to bend the mast (using an backstay adjuster) does for sail trim under varying wind conditions. With the short lever arm above the head stay attachment point, there is litle or no possibility on the C-309 to actually bend the mast and take belly out of both the genoa and the main (the primary reason for a fractional rig). All backstay adjustment on the C-309 will be able to do is tighten the headstay (thereby removing some of the belly from the genoa, about exactly what can be done with a masthead rig). As for the rating, Catalina considers that this boat will rate about 180 under PHRF (about the same as the C-310). In contrast, a C-30T rates 168 and a C-320 rates 156 under LMPHRF, so the C-309 is expected to be a sailing pig. Steve Alchemist C-30T #4764 (2000 National Champion) Alchemist C-320 #909

R

roger marshutz

different

If you compare the 310 and the 309 the 2 ten has more storage, the head has a shower and is bigger. seems easier access to the engine and the cockpit storage seens smaller in the fotos, I can put my inflatable in the lazerete. Seems the 310 has more storage in front cabin......

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
Large crowds?

The C310 was designed with a smaller salon, and reduced seating, for the ability to have more space in the other functional areas. Like the head, galley, and bunk areas. The C309 reversed that concept by enlarging the seating area at the expense of the other areas. It doesn’t work for me, but maybe if you have a large crowd below, the C309 interior is what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.