Catalina 30 traviler shive

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Your friend should consider replacing the curved track system with the Garhauer straight track. They sell a version that sits on the existing teak blocks. I assume the traveler car is original and the rubber rollers lost their efficiency years ago. The curved track traveler looked nice but it was one of the poorest designed system ever created.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Your friend should consider replacing the curved track system with the Garhauer straight track. They sell a version that sits on the existing teak blocks. I assume the traveler car is original and the rubber rollers lost their efficiency years ago. The curved track traveler looked nice but it was one of the poorest designed system ever created.
I was aware that the curved track was a poor design, another friend replaced his for that very reason. This particular ower doesn't really need the new tech, I always sail with him and I understand that the arch changes the trim. He got a great deal on this boat and I'm helping him sort it out.

Thanks for the tip about Garhauer. I'm sure it's also available through Catalina Direct. I was just exploring other options.

Troy

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Like what @Don Guillette said: I did this on a C36, great upgrade and good value.

BTW, "sheave" and "traveler." :)
Thanks for that. I've never been good a spelling. I usually check it if in doubt but I got frustrated and just sent it. Feeling a bit embarrassed now.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks for that. I've never been good a spelling. I usually check it if in doubt but I got frustrated and just sent it. Feeling a bit embarrassed now.
Oh, I'm very sorry! I was just being a spelling Nazi dick! :)