Catalina 30 traviler shive

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Your friend should consider replacing the curved track system with the Garhauer straight track. They sell a version that sits on the existing teak blocks. I assume the traveler car is original and the rubber rollers lost their efficiency years ago. The curved track traveler looked nice but it was one of the poorest designed system ever created.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Your friend should consider replacing the curved track system with the Garhauer straight track. They sell a version that sits on the existing teak blocks. I assume the traveler car is original and the rubber rollers lost their efficiency years ago. The curved track traveler looked nice but it was one of the poorest designed system ever created.
I was aware that the curved track was a poor design, another friend replaced his for that very reason. This particular ower doesn't really need the new tech, I always sail with him and I understand that the arch changes the trim. He got a great deal on this boat and I'm helping him sort it out.

Thanks for the tip about Garhauer. I'm sure it's also available through Catalina Direct. I was just exploring other options.

Troy

Jul 23, 2009
Like what @Don Guillette said: I did this on a C36, great upgrade and good value.

BTW, "sheave" and "traveler." :)
Thanks for that. I've never been good at spelling. I usually check it if in doubt but I got frustrated and just sent it. Feeling a bit embarrassed now.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
You indicated that the curved track traveler effects trim and you're right but it shouldn't. The traveler only adjust the angle of attack and trim is not effected as it moves but what happens with the curved track traveler is when the traveler car is moved off center and if the mainsheet is not adjusted the car is traveling downhill and acting like a boom vang and accordingly changing twist and draft position.

When I purchased my C30 the traveler was the first thing I looked at. The second was the pin type jib cars. Anyway, trying to save a few bucks, I had Garhauaer build me the double block system your friend has. I knew the first time with the new setup that it was a mistake and I should have bitten the bullet and purchased the straight track, which I did. I should have "cried once" instead of twice. I didn't make that mistake with the jib cars and purchased the Garhauer adjustable system.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I was aware that the curved track was a poor design, another friend replaced his for that very reason. This particular ower doesn't really need the new tech, I always sail with him and I understand that the arch changes the trim. He got a great deal on this boat and I'm helping him sort it out.

Thanks for the tip about Garhauer. I'm sure it's also available through Catalina Direct. I was just exploring other options.

Troy
Troy, this isn't really a Garhaurer component. It's at least 40 years old and out of production. Garhaurer didn't start supplying equipment for Catalina till 1990.

Anyway, you're going to have to do some work... which means identifying and measuring the sheave that needs replacing...hopefully you still have the other component for reference.
Here are two references. First is a clue. Plug this search in google to get started.. sailboat rigging sheave replacement

To refine your search you might add Delrin sheave to the search

If you can't decide where to start....Go to this Rig-Rite.com page.

OK good luck

Jul 23, 2009
Troy, this isn't really a Garhaurer component. It's at least 40 years old and out of production. Garhaurer didn't start supplying equipment for Catalina till 1990.

Anyway, you're going to have to do some work... which means identifying and measuring the sheave that needs replacing...hopefully you still have the other component for reference.
Here are two references. First is a clue. Plug this search in google to get started.. sailboat rigging sheave replacement

OK good luck
Thank you for that information. Hopefully I will have a little spare time today.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA

OK good luck
Your general info is correct but the facts have errors. Garhauer became the supplier of Catalina hardware with the advent of the Mk2 boats which happened in the 1987 model year. My 1988 C30 has all Garhauer components.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Your general info is correct but the facts have errors. Garhauer became the supplier of Catalina hardware with the advent of the Mk2 boats which happened in the 1987 model year. My 1988 C30 has all Garhauer components.
I think he got the message. Thanks for the clarification, sorry I missed the year, but I saw 1990 posted in another article so I used that to make my point about out production hardware. Obviously the author of that article didn't consult your group:).... I didn't bother bother to take a survey among C30 mkII owners either....don't shoot me... since this fella's boat was the earlier model........... it made all the garhaurer talk irrelevant. The fact is he is just looking for a couple of sheaves and rather than trying to up sell the poor dude a $1000 bucks of gleaming SS hardware I thought it more helpful to show him where he might find what he was looking for.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Before I upgraded to the Garhauer straight traveler on my 1984 C36 I made new sheaves for the old traveler from Starboard. It requires a lathe. the toughest part, according to my vague recollection, is grinding off the rivet heads to take these apart. But, it can be done.

Apr 5, 2009
I think he got the message. Thanks for the clarification, sorry I missed the year, but I saw 1990 posted in another article so I used that to make my point about out production hardware. Obviously the author of that article didn't consult your group:).... I didn't bother bother to take a survey among C30 mkII owners either....don't shoot me... since this fella's boat was the earlier model........... it made all the garhaurer talk irrelevant. The fact is he is just looking for a couple of sheaves and rather than trying to up sell the poor dude a $1000 bucks of gleaming SS hardware I thought it more helpful to show him where he might find what he was looking for.
My correction was not intended as a criticism but a clarification. It is useful for potential Catalina purchasers to understand the differences between the Mk1 and Mk2 boats. There is a reason why there is typically a significant price difference between the two models.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I understand. Joe.

Do you need a traveler?

Apr 5, 2009
Ouch! At $280 a piece,,,, I'm looking for a better solution, Especially since the boat owner seems not particularly tech driven.
You might suggest that he use vang sheeting. Normally the vang is not used for upwind work, but you "can" use it to set the twist which is the typical main sheet function. Then with the twist taken care of, they can use the main sheet for angle of attack which is what the traveler usually does. With this usage, the old traveler is just a centerline anchor point for the main sheet and does not need to move.

I have a friend with a C34 that has been sailing his boat this way for years due to the bearings in the traveler car being toast.