Catalina 30 shoal draft for racing??

Oct 15, 2018
Catalina 30 Baltimore, MD
Hello,

I am looking at buying a 1985 Catalina 30 tall rig. I have had my heart set on a full fin keel as I like to do some racing, but I recently found and made an offer on a shoal draft model. It is in much better condition than most fin keels I've looked at. With the boat market what it is, I decided to make an offer and he accepted. He attested to the boats performance saying that he never seemed to think that it had any major disadvantage over fin keels. At least not enough to worry about. But he did not race it.
I know the first question is, what am I going to use the boat for. I'd say, 60/40 maybe 70/30 cruising to racing. I like to do a few long distance cruising type races a year. I am in the Baltimore area of the chesapeake. I guess my main question is, if I enter a race, do I even have a chance at competing/winning in a tall rig shoal draft? Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the performance difference? I know the fin keel is better windward, but is it reflected in the PHRF or ORR ratings? I really enjoy racing, but I would not even bother if it will never even stand a chance.

Thank you for any advice.

Ryan

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
You can look up your base PHRF value here, Boat Class Lookup - US Sailing.

How well you will do matters more on whether you and your crew can sail the boat to the rating. There are a lot of different configs for the 30 on the US Sailing website and lots of values for each.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'd prefer the tall rig with the fin keel too. Or the shorter rig with the shoal keel. But this seems to be a worse combination. But don't give up hope.
When you race take a couple of pals along who will sit on the rail. They can help offset the lack of ballast and righting moment of the shoal keel. Sailboatdata.com has the draft of the shoal keel at 4.3 ' vs the 5.25' for the fin. 4.3 isn't too bad. SBD doesn't offer a pic of the shoal keel so I don't know the shape or the amount of ballast you give up.
Finally according to the New England PHRF numbers below I think you will get some time.
CATALINA 30 TM 174
CATALINA 30 180
CATALINA 30 TM/BS 168
CATALINA 30 WK 189
Anyway, I've always thought with regard to racing, you bring the boat you have vs. the one you wish you had.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
There are two shoal draft keel versions of the C30. Standard shoal draft is 4.3'. In the mid 80s the shoal draft wing keel, at 3.8', replaced the standard shoal draft.
I have the TR WK BS version. While I don't race, I am told frequently that the C30 is a quick boat and I should give it a try.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Anyway, I've always thought with regard to racing, you bring the boat you have vs. the one you wish you had.
A VERY true statement. Get to know your boat, sail it, work out the config of the boat as you sail, and try at least to have fun. I have had Seeker for 7 seasons now and I am still learning the best way to sail her. But we are learning the boat, the first couple of years we were just kind of sailing around the course. But, the last couple, I have crew that don't "just like to be out on the water", they want to learn and do well. So that is what we are doing. You will get your boat figured out, then dialed in, and then you will do even better.

Oct 15, 2018
Catalina 30 Baltimore, MD
Thank you everyone for your advice. I have just sold my last boat last night, and will be settling on the Catalina 30 in the next day or so. I am excited. I agree that I will first just get to know the boat and not worry so much about racing and performance. With my crew of a wife, a 4, and a 6 year old, I really can't expect too much. It will be a much more comfortable boat for our family and at the end of the day, that's what I'm really excited about. You will probably be hearing more from me in the years to come. I am a very DIY sort-of-person and it's a 36 year old boat!

Thank you and enjoy the rest of the summer!

Ryan

Feb 25, 2014
Catalina 30 Grand Lake. Wyandotte, Ok.
Congrats on moving up to another boat. The 30 is a good size for a small family. Hope those young ones take up the sailing culture. I can say that at the lake and boating were my most remembered times from growing up.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
When I started to bring my wife out for Wed pm races she went from "You're heeling too much" to "Why can't you make this thing go faster."

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Ryan. I suspect you will be a happy man.

The Chesapeake is a big body of water. You will need to learn the advantages your boat provides, such as sailing over shoals that most other boats with deep keels can not. That may be an advantage you can take based on the way the race committee sets the course and the winds prevail. Tactics count during a race, especially on a long race. But don't get carried away and run aground.

A big part of your racing success will depend on the sails you have and your knowledge in using them on your boat.

Get us pictures of your new mistress, and have lots of fun with the family on the boat.