Catalina 30 charging concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Sandowich

I MOVED UP TO A 30 FROM A 27 IN JUNE. I KEEP THE BOAT AT A MOORING ON THE CHESAPEAKE . I BOUGHT TWO NEW BATTERIES. ONE A HEAVY DUTY CRANKING ONE FOR STARTING AND A DEEP CELL FOR ALL OTHER NEEDS. I ONLY USE THE CRANKING ONE WHEN STARTING THE ENGINE.WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING THE BATTERY SWITCH IS ON " ALL". AFTER ABOUT A MONTH THEY BOTH HAVE GOOTEN LOW ENOUGH TO NOT BE ABLE TO TURN OVER THE ENGINE.I INTENTIONALY RUN THE ENGINE AND HOUR OR SO EACH TIME I USE THE BOAT TO CHARGE THEM BOTH SINCE I RARELY TIE INTO SHORE POWER. IS THIS TO BE EXPECTED? DOES THE ENGINE NEED TO BE RUN LONGER? HOW CAN I CHECK TO SEE IF THE BATTERIES ARE RECEIVING THE CORRECT CHARGE? ANY SUGGETION OR COMMON EXPERIENCES? THANKS

M

Mark Gale

Charge

I don't know what year you have, but until the mid 80s (at least), C30s were wired so the charge went from the alternator to the instrument panel, through an amp meter and then back to the batteries. Ridiculously inefficient. Get someone to take out the amp meter, replace it with a volt meter and have the charge go directly to the batteries. (A volt meter will register charge anywhere in the system. It doesn't need a direct feed.) Huge improvement. Also, my alternator was charging but far under capacity. My mechanic had it tested and then rebuilt. I made both changes last year and keep my boat on a mooring with two dual purpose batteries. No problem. I run the CD player, auto helm, instruments. Always crank off of one battery. Your best source of info on dozens of modifications is to spend $30 on the "Tech Talk" manual available off the <catalina30.com> assn web site. Good luck.

J

John Mavrovich

Volt Meter

Mark gave you good advice. Seaward Products makes up the ignition panel assemblies for Catalina. tel # 562-699-7997 Their price is about $32 for a volt meter. There is also a wiring improvement that improves the charging circuit and replacement of faulty molded connectors that you should ask them about (around $20). Good luck. John

G

gary

voltage

Check the the alterator and see if it is putting out the right amps. my alterator was bad.I

Status
Not open for further replies.