Catalina 30 Brown Liquid Coming in Cabin Window. Could it be from the Mast?

Nov 2, 2020
Catalina 30 TRBS Chapin, SC
The port side window of my 1989 Catalina 30 TR BS, the one aft of the head window, has a dark, brown liquid leaking out of it when it rains. The previous owner said it started about three weeks ago. When I opened the window, the leading edge is wet and covered in brown liquid. I’ve been told the brown liquid is water mixing with the resin in the deck. If so, I’m concerned it’s coming from the mast step and there may rot everywhere. But, it could be something as simple as a window leak. My question is this: Has anyone had this problem?

As an aside, approximately 2 years ago, the previous owner removed the wooden compression block in the bilge, added a metal one fiberglassed into the boat. They pulled the mast down and noticed the so called “Catalina Bird Bath”. While the mast was out they checked for rot and didn’t see any. To be safe, they injected epoxy around the opening and built up the deck for the new Mast step to sit on. They then installed a Stainless Steel Mast step and reinstalled the mast.

The boat is in impeccable condition and we are looking at purchasing it. This came up right before signing the paperwork. I’m trying to figure out what is going on so I (or he) can get it fixed. We just need to know if it’s something major or normal.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The brown liquid is not water mixing with resin (cured resin is waterproof), more likely it's brown because it has soaked the deck coring which is made of plywood. You want to get a moisture meter and measure the percentage of moisture in the deck (might as well do the whole thing). This will tell you if there are high levels of moisture (greater than 25%) that will lead to rotten wood. Portlights are a common source of leaks but it could be coming from anywhere in the vicinity, as water will travel.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
By bird bath I'd guess you mean the cabin top was depressed, this suggests the cabin top deck core near mast was saturated as suggested by Dmax. When the step was replaced and cabin top pushed back up the water is flowing downhill and taking nearest exit. I'd guess saturation may be pretty extensive, it should be detectable with a percussive test and perhaps follow up with moisture readings to map the extent. Might be prudent to get a good surveyors opinion on this.

Nov 2, 2020
Last Remark(s): The brown stuff leaking in the window just started 3 weeks ago. The mast was tweaked a few years ago. Does (did) it take that long for the water to work it‘s way down or is there a new leak?

I know you don’t have the answer...that’s just my train of thought. Again, thanks for your insight.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The brown liquid is not water mixing with resin (cured resin is waterproof), more likely it's brown because it has soaked the deck coring which is made of plywood. You want to get a moisture meter and measure the percentage of moisture in the deck (might as well do the whole thing). This will tell you if there are high levels of moisture (greater than 25%) that will lead to rotten wood. Portlights are a common source of leaks but it could be coming from anywhere in the vicinity, as water will travel.
This is likely the cause of the brown water.

Last Remark(s): The brown stuff leaking in the window just started 3 weeks ago. The mast was tweaked a few years ago. Does (did) it take that long for the water to work it‘s way down or is there a new leak?

I know you don’t have the answer...that’s just my train of thought. Again, thanks for your insight.
Yes it takes a while. The deck coring needs to be saturated and the wood needs to rot before it the brown liquid shows up.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The moisture meter (pinless) will read through the fiberglass, just make sure the deck surface is dry.
I can only recommend what MaineSail recommends amd what I have ($200):

There are inexpensive ones ($40.00 or so at Home Depot) that other people have reported good results from that will probably tell you what you need to know.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you are into tools, or you are going to pick up a new trade in boat repair then I spring for the $200 meter. If this is a “just checking” tool then the meter from Home Depot or other sources will give you the indication you need. My guess is you will put the meter down on the fiberglass deck and it will peg the meter at 100%. Then you take more readings in an expanding circle to get a rough idea of how much of the deck is affected.

The discovery of the source and fix can be a major project. I suspect the owner has sone idea of that situation.

Looking at the pictures possible suspect’s are the mast, the hatch behind the mast, the fittings for the halyard turning fairleads.

The boat does look nice. Good luck.

Nov 2, 2020
Thank you again. I have a call into a surveyor. I’ll let you know what he says and what I ultimately end up doing.

Nov 2, 2020
I borrowed an Extech MO290 moisture meter from a friend and checked the boat. The moisture levels around the mast and on the side of that window was high. I had a local marine, fiberglass repair guy come out and give me a rough guess on price (a range).

After talking to the owner, we settled on a price that would allow me to get it fixed in the near future. Once I do the repair, I’ll post pictures.

Here are pictures of what it looks like now

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
The photos tell the story. The area under the mast step is wet, the core has rotted and it needs to be fixed. There is not enough support for the mast. This is not a repair that should wait. Otherwise the boat looks clean and cared for.

Good luck. :beer:

Nov 2, 2020
The weird part is you can’t hear it. The repair guy did a percussion test and really couldn’t tell where it was. Maybe a little but barely. He said the deck felt strong. However the meter showed a different story.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The cracks in the deck are from the water in the core freezing and expanding. Boat looks nice otherwise and that can all be fixed - my last boat was a 1989 C-30, great boat.

Jan 11, 2014
The weird part is you can’t hear it. The repair guy did a percussion test and really couldn’t tell where it was. Maybe a little but barely. He said the deck felt strong. However the meter showed a different story.
The depression in the deck is the telltale sign. The yard guy who said it was the "Catalina bird bath" was referring to that depression. Don't rely on only measurement, i.e., deck sounding. Use all the available information.

Nov 2, 2020
Cool. Thanks for the words of encouragement. It’s mine now, wrinkles and all.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice that you figured out the challenge and resolved it with the former owner.

I wish you the best with your project. I had a similar issue on my boat caused by hand holds that the caulking had failed. Now I have a dry boat and no more brown drips.
Good luck.