Catalina 30/Atomic 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gb

I am interested in information on the Catalina 30 and the Atomic 10 diesel engine...my wife and I are concidering purchasing a very good condition 30 but I am concerned about the quality of this particular engine...any information or comments will be greatly appreciated...also any comment on the 30 itself would be welcome...Thanks in advance...gb.

D

David Ullrich

Universal 54-11?

The "Atomic" series of engines were gas engines made by Universal. If you are talking about the diesel Universal engine that was available on 70's and early 80's Cat 30, I think you are talking about the 54-11 model Universal Diesel. And they are generally great little engines. Be aware that they are only 11 hp, so you can't go nose into a gale and expect to make much headway. But these little engines are SOOO fuel efficient, that it scares others. I recently powered for 12 hours straight at WOT and burned less than 3 gallon of fuel! I have had very few problems with mine. Actually, except for this season, I have had no real problems. This season I had some vexing throttle problems, but they were cleared up with a few washers. Also beware that they are raw water cooled and may suffer from a bit of rust. Pipes and hoses should be closely inspected. Rust on the block is of little consiquence. Also, like any raw water cooled engine, annually change the water pump impeller (EASY AND CHEAP). Note that 54-11s pump very little water out the back. They seldomly reach the temp needed to fully open the thermostat. So they only spit out a bit of water every few minutes. Other boaters will constantly flag you down to warn you that your not pumping water or will ask if you have a dry exhaust. Just check the temp guage every now and again. But they never overheat. I love mine, you'll love yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.