Catalina 30 as an offshore boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Love2sail

Hello, I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm considering purchasing a Catalina 30. I just relocated to Dallas, TX after 13 years in Oregon and had to sell my Islander 26. I have run the performance ratio numbers for the C30 and they are not bad: D:L 291, B: D 41%, SA: D 15.2, CSV 1.99, the CSV is right on the 2.0 limit recommended for offshore boats, so the righting moment is not that bad in the event of a knock down. I'm in Dallas but can't bring myself to keep a sailboat on a lake, that's like keeping a bird in a cage so I'm planning on keeping it in Galveston, I'm semi-retired and can spend as much time down there as I want to so the distance is not an issue, and sailboats belong in saltwater if you ask me. Anyway, my question is how do they handle weather and rough seas? What modifications/upgrades should be made to make the boat a capable blue water boat? or is this not a good idea? Any input is appreciated.

Jun 3, 2004
- - Guilford, CT
not a good idea,

there are some web pages out there on people who have modified them but they are only a coastal cruiser, hatchway is too big, construction is very good for a coastal cruiser but not blue water, etc... Look in the Archives...

Jan 20, 2006
- - on Great Bay
It depends on what you mean by blue water?

. Blue water usually means crossing oceans where you might be weeks away from the nearest harbor. If that's the case then a Catalina might be considered a little underbuilt and not strong enough to withstand huge breaking seas for days on end. A violent knock down or roll over might tear it appart. But for normal coastal cruising it should be fine. .

B

Bob

Thats a big question

Is the Cat 30 a capable offshore (blue-water)cruiser? Thats the 64K question amongst so many of us. No offense to my fellow 30 sailors, but I personally believe that the answer lies more in the talent and guts of the sailor then the seaworthiness of the vessel. Your looking at the ratio's and righting moments and that data might provide a certian confidence level; however, and I do feel that the Catalina as a blue water long distance cruiser was not constructed to take any continuous punishment the open ocean environment can dole out. I got a reality check when I sailed well offshore from Pensacola to Mobile a few years ago on a 1985 30 Catalina with a friend and were in 8+ foot seas all day. She held her footing, but everytime the bow hit, the whole boat shook and I thought she was going to split open. Multiply that by a few hundred times! This was no Westsail or Island Packet! That resonating sound thru the boat of thin fiberglass forward hitting the waves, coupled with the vibration from the deck stepped mast had us wondering how well she would hold up. The boat faired better then we did! When inspecting the standing rigging, stepped mast,lack of backing plates on thru deck fittings (check the winches - simply washers), chainplates tied to teak bulkheads, coupled with a huge cabin opening intended to keep the cabin airy, etc, etc, I do not believe she was intended for any blue water long distance cruising. Without stuctural changes I would not know how to modify a 30 for serious blue water work. If your going to sail out of Galveston, play in the gulf and perhaps venture across in good weather to Florida, as a coastal cruiser you cannot do better then the 30. We bought our Catalina 30 (88 model) with the purpose of cruising the ICW and going offshore for limited trips. We feel our winged keel model, tall rig, great amenities, liveable space and an incredible support group made her a wise investment for our needs. Turning east and heading to the Azores is the last thing I would consider. If its blue water open ocean sailing your seeking, I would kick it up a few notches from the Catalina 30. Bob Breezin II

Jan 26, 2006
Catalina 30 Pensacola
Excellent Bob

I could not agree more. I just bought a C30 1977 that was damaged in Katrina. The transom was heavily damaged. I could not believe how thin the layers were. Not to mention the backstay tangs were very undersized and NO BACKING.. One of the best things I can reccomend for you to do is to go to a yard where you will find different brands of boats being repaired. LOOK very carefully at how the fiberglass is laid up ie. # of layers, thickness, tabs, etc. I think the boat is great for it's cabin space! BUT, it would not be wise to try the big stuff for hours, days on end. Read Tania Aebi's book about her voyage in a 26ft boat around the globe. WEATHER is your best answer to the 64,000 question. You could sail to China as long as the seas are calm! If you are interested in learning how boats behave in heavy winds/seas try using a cheaper boat that you wouldn't mind sinking. I know this sounds crazy but listen, I live in Pensacola. Last summer when Wilma was at the base of the gulf, Pensacola had 8-10ft seas and winds 25knts plus out of the North. We sailed out into the gulf in my Hunter 27 and stayed close to shore (ie. 1-2 miles) catching swells from the hurricane many miles away. It was a great way to test our skill and our nerves. It was a beautiful sunny day, I'll have to post a couple of pictures later. ALWAYS have the appropriate safety gear and have a plan of egress.

P

Peter

Check out this book

This couple sailed from San Francisco thru the P. Canal to Florida in their Cat30. That's coastal stuff, not what most of us call "Blue Water", but it is a great adventure, and more than harbor-hopping. Gives god info on what was in each harbor, what worked, and how they were set up. "Stargazer's Diary", by Shirlee Sasenbery.

Mar 31, 2004
Catalina 380 T Holland
One other thing:

All Catalina 30s are not alike. The Mark 1s (1986 and before) had an ENORMOUS companionway and an even bigger main hatch (yes, the hatch was wider than the companionway). In the Mark 2s (1987 - 1992) the companionway was narrowed slightly, and the hatch was narrowed to match the width of the companionway. Although the main opening into the cabin was substantially reduced between these two models, it is still bigger than desirable for an "Offshore" boat. The Mark 3 primarily widened the stern and added a walk-through transom (water drains real fast through one of these) The Catalina 30 was built to Catagory 1 (offshore capable) ratings (go to the IC30A website for more information). I wouldn't want to saill one across the ocean (although several people have). From what you are describing as your sailing plans (short cruises in the Gulf of Mexico), thte C-30 is more than capable of taking you safely and comfortable both out and back into the Gulf of Mexico in reasonable weather (I would probably suggest that you avoid named tropical storms though). A previous poster is absolutely right. The C-30 is no Westsail or Island Packet, but it's both faster than either of those two (an IP is so slow that it can't get out of it's own way), and you can buy two C-30s for the price of one of those other boats. If you want to do serious blue water cruising (read that Ocean Crossings), pass on a C-30. If you want to do coastal cruising (port hopping and short passages of 1 - 3 days), the C-30 is a great boat. It can take more abuse than you can. Steve Alchemist C-30T #4764 ('87) Alchemist C-320 #909

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Blue Water?

As Bob said, it's more a question of if the sailor is a blue water sailer rather than if the C30 is a blue water boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.