Catalina 28 steering problem

Apr 12, 2024
Catalina Catalina 28 mk1 Townsville
I have recently purchased a Catalina 28 mk1 and when I took it out for the first time I found it near impossible to steer, the wheel pulls hard to port to such extent that the auto pilot disengages. I didn't try under sail, this was engine only. Can anyone help me with this problem? Regards Bill.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to SBO William.
Have you had the boat out of the water to inspect the prop and the rudder? You may have an alignment issue. Just a guess based on your statement.
Often there is some prop induced wash push on the rudder when using the auxiliary. But it should not be severe.
You might also inspect the steering gear for any slop in the quadrant or rudder shaft.

These are just guesses. Often resolving an issue as you identified is a process of elimination by inspection of the boat systems.

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
Is this a new occurrence since your sea trial? Regardless, try the international site. Catalina28.net good luck

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Try putting up a sail and see how it acts under sail alone.

If for some reason you can't put up a sail and it is pulling hard under power and you shift to neutral does it continue to pull hard while you are just coasting along?

Apr 12, 2024
Hi Richard, thanks for responding, yes it pulls while it is under sail or power, its hard work for the auto pilot and me. I am hauling the boat and removing the rudder
Welcome to SBO William.
Have you had the boat out of the water to inspect the prop and the rudder? You may have an alignment issue. Just a guess based on your statement.
Often there is some prop induced wash push on the rudder when using the auxiliary. But it should not be severe.
You might also inspect the steering gear for any slop in the quadrant or rudder shaft.

These are just guesses. Often resolving an issue as you identified is a process of elimination by inspection of the boat systems.
Hi Richard, since posting the enquiry, I've had the boat hauled out and inspected both rudder and prop, the prop is ok but the rudder appears to be offline to port. I have sailed over 100 miles up the coast and the boat performs ok but it's hard work for the auto pilot and me. I am hauling the boat out next week to remove the rudder and straighten the shaft but am having trouble obtaining construction specs of the rudder so that I can determine the centre line of the shaft fore and aft. I may need to drill small holes along the side at the bottom until I locate the shaft and determine where the centre is.

Apr 12, 2024
Welcome to SBO William.

Yes, I have determined the rudder shaft is bent and working how to be straightening it

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Some of the Catalina 28's steered that way straight from the factory. No bend in the rudder shaft. Mine did.

Under power, the steering pulled hard to port, and the pull increased with speed/rpm. At 80% throttle, taking hands off the wheel resulted in the boat going into an immediate spin.

Under sail, the steering was neutral. No pull. Try yours under sail and see how it goes. Or, have you inspected the rudder and found it to be bent?

Catalina was aware of this problem on the 28. It was caused by the relationship between the prop and the rudder. I vaguely recall that at one time they had a rudder replacement available that solved the problem. I have no idea if it's still available or at what horrendous expense.

Under power, that pull to port is a total pain in the butt, and as you mentioned, can exceed the ability of the autopilot to keep up.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
William, while not good news at least you have identified what could be the issue.

Nearly all rudders I have seen on small boats have a similar construction. Here is an image that shows the shaft and attached metal braces(frame work) that are used to shape the rudder upon.
1713540547146.jpeg

Andy from BoatworksToday did an informative rudder rebuild that may help you with ideas about your challenge. Your rudder would be similar. The shape and centering would depend on where the bend is. Be certain, before going to the work of repair, that the issue is the rudder and not a defect in the rudder shaft log or bearings in the boat hull.

Apr 12, 2024
Welcome to SBO William.

William, while not good news at least you have identified what could be the issue.

Nearly all rudders I have seen on small boats have a similar construction. Here is an image that shows the shaft and attached metal braces(frame work) that are used to shape the rudder upon.
View attachment 224242

Andy from Boatworks Today did an informative rudder rebuild that may help you with ideas about your challenge. Your rudder would be similar. The shape and centering would depend on where the bend is. Be certain, before going to the work of repair, that the issue is the rudder and not a defect in the rudder shaft log or bearings in the boat hull.
Thanks for the info. I have had the boat out of the water and looking at the rudder from the stern I can line the port face of the rudder with the centre line of the back of the keel, when I try to line the starboard face up with the keel the closest that I can get the face to line up with the centre line of the keel leaves a gap of about 50mm, wherever I point the blade. Technically each face of the blade should line up with the keel with the same amount of rotation. This led me to believe the shaft was bent, if you say that all the Catalinas have the same problem makes me think it is an alignment problem with either the prop shaft being offset to starboard, or the rudder stock is off centre to the port. I didn't think that with the reputation that Catalina have regarding the quality of their yachts that they would release yachts with this problem. I have never had any yacht that you couldn't let the helm go for a second without going into a spin. I don't know where to go from here, I don't want to go to all the expense of dropping the rudder out if it is an alignment matter and not a bent rudder shaft. I had better do a little more research, maybe other 28 owners can comment on their experiences. Regards Bill

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I like Catalinas, and have owned four. Own one currently. But, your faith in their quality is unwarranted. They let some bad stuff out the door from time to time.

The 309 I bought new in 2007 was plagued with gelcoat cracks all over the deck. Catalina finally sent their guy to fix them, but I lost most of a Michigan sailing season while they fixed it. But continued to have crack-gelcoat.

That boat also had a mis-aligned rudder. Removing the deck plate behind the helm, where you'd attach the emergency tiller, it was obvious that the top of the rudder post housing was WAY off center from the opening in the deck. When the steering finally started to bind up and fail three years in, I discovered that they'd done a real hack job on the delrin bearings to get them to work on the mis-aligned rudder post housing. What a mess. They never owned up to it, and the hassle and expense of the repair fell on me.

I mention the mis-aligned rudder post housing as an example of what they'll let out the door, and also as an item you might want to check. See if the top of the rudder post is aligned with the opening in the deck. A little off is okay. See what you think. If it's off, that could account for the angle you're seeing on your rudder. If the alignment is off to port, then your rudder would be off to starboard (and vice-versa).

Again, not all Catalina 28's have this problem. That's why you'll talk to owners who say their boat steers just fine.

Let us know how well the rudder post lines up at the opening on the deck.

It would be nice if Catalina could tell you which years of the 28 had the problem. Mine was a 1998. Or if they can even confirm that they offered a replacement rudder at one time.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I purchased my Cat28 MkII (2004) last year and immediately noticed that it pulled quite heavy to port under power during the sea trial. It’s perfectly balanced when under sail. My autopilot seems to manage it alright. Good to know that this is not entirely unusual for this model.