Catalina 28 mkII - Hot Water Heater Installation

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I'm looking at the HW installation on this new-to-me Cat28. The two aspects that I am considering are 1) access - its a pain to remove the entire bulkhead panel for access, 2) the possibility of installing a "bypass kit" to facilitate winterization (like on my RV). I would appreciate input on these issues.

1) what have people done to improve access? e.g. install inspection port or hatch covers in the bulkhead?
2) what type of bypass kit (e.g. 2-valves or 1-valve and checkvalve). Due to limited space between HW tank and the bulkhead how have you installed the bypass valves?

The picture below shows the tank in the "winter" configuration i.e. bypassed. I'm also wondering about the function of the checkvalve in the cold water supply line (lower right)

1713624883676.png

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Thanks! That's more complex than my system (i.e. no mixing valve, no accumulator, etc). It does however have the check valve in the cold water to the heater but I'm not sure it that is necessary for the mixing valve inclusion.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks! That's more complex than my system (i.e. no mixing valve, no accumulator, etc). It does however have the check valve in the cold water to the heater but I'm not sure it that is necessary for the mixing valve inclusion.
The check valve stops hot water in the heater from backing up into the cold water system. Think of what could happen when the pump is off and the water heater is on: heat expands the water. The valve stops it. Read Calder, he has a longer description.