Catalina 275 Deck Layout

Oct 31, 2016
Catalina 25 Watertown, MA
Can an owner of a 275 please describe the deck layout? Catalina sales info indicates only 4 rope clutches and one winch on the cabin top, but from some online forsale images I see up to 3 Lewmar DC1 singles on the port side of the cabin top and 4 DC1 singles on the starboard side and 2 Harken ST winches. Is that stock? Are the rope clutches all 8-10mm or a mixture of 8-10mm and 10-12mm. What are the lines? (Main Halyard, Jib Halyard, Spinnaker Halyard, Boom Vang, Outhaul, Single Line Reef, Cunningham)? Of the ST Harken winches , which model? If you wanted to make a change, what would it be? Thanks!

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
Looked at my receipt from 2014 and the "performance package" is standard, no charge. It included: Selden Bow Sprit, 2nd Cabintop Harken Winch, Deck Mounted Jib Tracks & Cars, and Cunningham Adjuster. The Harken manual titles it as a Radial Winch. Don't know the exact model number, but it is single speed, one direction only. The lines are from left to right (see thumbnails): jib halyard #1 (originally 10-12mm DC1, changed to 8-10mm), self-tacking jib sheet (10-12mm), boom vang (10-12mm, just fits), reef (10-12mm), main halyard (8-10mm), jib halyard #2 (8-10mm), spinnaker halyard (10-12mm).

P1020487.JPG P1020486.JPG

See "Pimp" for what I did for the outhaul and the cunningham. Check out the other pimps and "Problems" for more ideas. I have several more future posts in "Pimp" that I need to get around to for additional ideas. Keep in mind, buying a Catalina is like buying a Ford. Your options are very limited and Catalina is resistant to custom. And if you want to save yourself some future mold problems, tell Catalina to keep their paint off your boat (see "Problems"). Gelcoat only.

Good way to determine what comes on the boat is to get a quote from a dealer which will list everything and select the ones you are willing to pay for. The spin at $3500 seems expensive, but I wouldn't go without and it was one of the two options I chose.

Oct 31, 2016
Catalina 25 Watertown, MA
Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for. I really like the setup. Thanks!

Mar 11, 2014
Looked at my receipt from 2014 and the "performance package" is standard, no charge. It included: Selden Bow Sprit, 2nd Cabintop Harken Winch, Deck Mounted Jib Tracks & Cars, and Cunningham Adjuster. The Harken manual titles it as a Radial Winch. Don't know the exact model number, but it is single speed, one direction only. The lines are from left to right (see thumbnails): jib halyard #1 (originally 10-12mm DC1, changed to 8-10mm), self-tacking jib sheet (10-12mm), boom vang (10-12mm, just fits), reef (10-12mm), main halyard (8-10mm), jib halyard #2 (8-10mm), spinnaker halyard (10-12mm).

View attachment 138584 View attachment 138585

See "Pimp" for what I did for the outhaul and the cunningham. Check out the other pimps and "Problems" for more ideas. I have several more future posts in "Pimp" that I need to get around to for additional ideas. Keep in mind, buying a Catalina is like buying a Ford. Your options are very limited and Catalina is resistant to custom. And if you want to save yourself some future mold problems, tell Catalina to keep their paint off your boat (see "Problems"). Gelcoat only.

Good way to determine what comes on the boat is to get a quote from a dealer which will list everything and select the ones you are willing to pay for. The spin at $3500 seems expensive, but I wouldn't go without and it was one of the two options I chose.
Did you get the Spin furler as part of the 3500 expense? If so which spin furler. My FX900 bottom up was about 8-900 on its own plus the sail for 1100 and that was for the Capri...

Do you ever have any issues with back wrap on the Spin when you pull it back out of the bag? This used to happen to me when the torque line was slacked and put away with the Chute wrapped around it.

Does your spin halyard have a captive line on it above the forestay. My boat doesn't have line in the sheave that's below the spreader for the self tacking Jib. They used the exit point and a line exist there that comes out of the mast just above the forstay. This line has a ring on it that is attached to the Spin halyard. This line therefore will allow you to shorten the attachment point for the spin and fly a smaller spin, as my boat came with two. As such was wondering if any one else has seen this modification?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI

View attachment 138584 View attachment 138585

Oh My... do yourself a favor and get the boom vang out of a clutch.... that's a line that you need to be able to dump PRONTO. When going downwind that's often your only way to avoid a round-up under spin. Downwind our pit person never takes it out of their hands when its breezy.

Jun 6, 2016
Oh My... do yourself a favor and get the boom vang out of a clutch.... that's a line that you need to be able to dump PRONTO. When going downwind that's often your only way to avoid a round-up under spin. Downwind our pit person never takes it out of their hands when its breezy.
In my next life, I'll come back as a Hindu goddess with more than enough hands. But until then, I'll just have to muddle along. I have yet to race this boat with more than a second person. When the spins up, just got to make sure to keep the pointy end down.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
@Jackdaw : Do I recall correctly that you use a double-ended setup with a cam cleat or Spinlock PXR on each end, and tails on each side of the cockpit? It seems like with that system, even if you didn't have enough crew / hands to keep the line in a hand full-time, you'd be able to grab the nearest tail and dump the vang quickly. (But what do I know - on a race boat, I'm only useful as rail meat. And I don't even weigh enough to do that well...)

Jun 6, 2016
Did you get the Spin furler as part of the 3500 expense? ...
As such was wondering if any one else has seen this modification?
Ok, back to your original question. The line item for the spin is:
C1 3711 APC Asymmetrical Sail with GX Top Down Spinnaker Furler - Sheets - Spinnaker Gear - Spinnaker Halyard $3,500.00.
The manual states 676 sq. ft. What cut and what I actually received is unknown. On my setup, all I have is the spin halyard, which is about a foot from the top. No other control lines besides the sheets and continuous furler. The kit also includes pair of mounted cam cleats and the blocks (quick release shackles) with pressure activated locking. As the pole was already included, the package included everything else to raise and fly the spin.

I have not seen your configuration before. Further, I'm not sure on how useful the "captive line" is and it sounds a little more complicated than it needs to be.

As for back wrapping, I have not had a problem. My wife sewed a bag for me which I posted somewhere here and I've had pretty good luck keeping everything straight except for the rare f-up where one sheet has an extra wrap. When it goes back in the bag, I snake up the sail starting where the sail lies across the bag and working to the head (tack still on pole). After putting the head in the center of the coil, I take each sheet and tuck them in the nearest corner to the direction they go. Finally, I place the tack on top and the furling line on that and seal up the bag. It comes out in reverse order. I don't even know if the setup I have would experience the problem you are talking about or maybe I'm not sure what you are experiencing as my system is top-down.

Nov 8, 2010
@Jackdaw : Do I recall correctly that you use a double-ended setup with a cam cleat or Spinlock PXR on each end, and tails on each side of the cockpit? It seems like with that system, even if you didn't have enough crew / hands to keep the line in a hand full-time, you'd be able to grab the nearest tail and dump the vang quickly. (But what do I know - on a race boat, I'm only useful as rail meat. And I don't even weigh enough to do that well...)
Correct. Because the boat is so wide, it's best to double-end the vang. Ultra-angle cam-cleats on each side of the cabin top. It gives a natural 2:1 bump to the purchase, and a crewmember on the rail can have the nearest one in hand, no matter what side the boat is being hiked out.

Mar 11, 2014
Ok, back to your original question. The line item for the spin is:
C1 3711 APC Asymmetrical Sail with GX Top Down Spinnaker Furler - Sheets - Spinnaker Gear - Spinnaker Halyard $3,500.00.
The manual states 676 sq. ft. What cut and what I actually received is unknown. On my setup, all I have is the spin halyard, which is about a foot from the top. No other control lines besides the sheets and continuous furler. The kit also includes pair of mounted cam cleats and the blocks (quick release shackles) with pressure activated locking. As the pole was already included, the package included everything else to raise and fly the spin.

I have not seen your configuration before. Further, I'm not sure on how useful the "captive line" is and it sounds a little more complicated than it needs to be.

As for back wrapping, I have not had a problem. My wife sewed a bag for me which I posted somewhere here and I've had pretty good luck keeping everything straight except for the rare f-up where one sheet has an extra wrap. When it goes back in the bag, I snake up the sail starting where the sail lies across the bag and working to the head (tack still on pole). After putting the head in the center of the coil, I take each sheet and tuck them in the nearest corner to the direction they go. Finally, I place the tack on top and the furling line on that and seal up the bag. It comes out in reverse order. I don't even know if the setup I have would experience the problem you are talking about or maybe I'm not sure what you are experiencing as my system is top-down.
Thanks for the reply.
Not sure about the need for that extra control on the Spin halyard either, but when I mentioned it to a sail maker friend of mine he was both surprised and impressed and thought it was very good to use if you were going to use a smaller spin which my boat came with. It takes about 3 feel off the length of the Spin luff length when pulled taught.

As to the top down back wrap issue it used to happen to me on the Capri when I had my Asym coiled just like you do on the 275. I was trying to buy the Spinex luff arrangement, A set of plastic balls that are specially made to ride on the torque line so that if the torque line actually wraps the balls keep the sail from back wrapping ... but they woundn't sell just that part out of the kit which includes the line, thimble ends and balls for 970... See I have a Furlex that is both bottom up and with an adapter top down that I salvaged off the Capri and already had enough of extra torque line to make one for this boat (when I ordered 40 feet of it needing 35 for the Capri they sent me 90 feet)... So next week I'm hoping to get a chance to make it up and test it out... Gonna do the small spin on the furler and leave the big one for racing.

Mar 11, 2014
Correct. Because the boat is so wide, it's best to double-end the vang. Ultra-angle cam-cleats on each side of the cabin top. It gives a natural 2:1 bump to the purchase, and a crewmember on the rail can have the nearest one in hand, no matter what side the boat is being hiked out.
when you installed the stoppers for the vang did you through bolt them, what is the deck made of?

Nov 8, 2010
when you installed the stoppers for the vang did you through bolt them, what is the deck made of?
Everything bolted through.... On the First 260 there is an area designed for that where it is solid glass.

You're right. Big loads.

Grip

Dec 2, 2020
Catalina Catalina 30 Portland, Maine
What is the best way to run the jib sheet back to the helm position? My crew (wife and young kinds) can’t be bothered, and I’d rather not have to climb over them to the cabin top.

Jun 6, 2016
It gets a little difficult because of the cabin top inside mounted tracks. Maybe if you have a post-hull #50 with the outside tracks (which I have not personally seen), then things could be different.

Since you are just daysailing, what about the self-tacker? Then nothing has to be done except when you need to sheet in/out. It's always a joke when I'm sailing with guests and I tell them I'm going to tack and they ask what can they do and I just say "nothing unless you want to change sides." They're not use to having to do nothing on a tack.

Mar 11, 2014
I've taken the sheet off the cabin top block and run it back to the spin turning block on each side, need to be sure the lock is off or you flip it, and then you can sheet and release that jib sheet from the helm. I'm planning on installing a second set of winches back that way when I get a chance to make this easier but for now to solo I do this... but of course as Codybear said just use the Self tacker, even if you have a 106, just roll it up and it will fit.

Jun 6, 2016
I've taken the sheet off the cabin top block and run it back to the spin turning block on each side,...
Before I answered, I was wondering if the line running off the cabin top block would interfere with his wife and children's seating. I figured there was a good chance it would run across their backs. But since you have done it, you are in a better position to know.

Mar 11, 2014
Before I answered, I was wondering if the line running off the cabin top block would interfere with his wife and children's seating. I figured there was a good chance it would run across their backs. But since you have done it, you are in a better position to know.
If you have the cabin top block forward and you run it back from there its away from the seats. Now if you sit up on the chroming it will be there.