Catalina 27 tiller play and rudder repair

Jul 21, 2016
catalina 27 Broad Creek, MD
My 1984 Catalina 27 has had some lateral play in the tiller for some time - but following a grounding, it has become significantly greater. Sooo, I tried to tighten the bolt which which goes through the rudder shaft ( it was very loose) was very loose and it immediately sheared. I have a few questions: 1) if the remaining part of the bolt comes out, will I drop the rudder (the boat is in the water), 2) is the lateral play due to this bolt being loose or is it the fiberglass sheath for the rudder shaft and 3) does the boat need to be pulled to fix these issues. Thanks.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I would contact Catalina Yachts and get some input from their customer service people... I think there is a bushing that can be replaced to fix the problem... don't quote me though. They should also be able to give you specifics on rudder removal. Sorry I can't be more helpful... If the bolt that broke was the tiller hinge you're okay.
There are parts lists and diagrams at the International owner's site www.catalina27.org May not help this specific problem.... but it is a good resource.

Jul 21, 2016
Thanks Joe. Unfortunately, It was not the tiller hinge that broke. This bolt is below that, and below the bolt that clamps the stainless steel cap onto the rudder. I was not able to see a parts list for Catalina 27's on the website, unfortunately, the manuals seem to be missing.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
First, select "27" on left side under Hull Type. The parts catalogue will be under "manuals" in left column. It will be divided into four linked sections. Unfortunately, when I scanned through each section, I didn't see detail on the rudder housing. Bummer.
You might try a search for "how to remove a Cat 27 rudder. " I still think it would be worth your while to call Catalina Yachts for their advice. The phone number is in the footer of the home page... www.catalinayachts.com.

I agree with you....don't remove the bolt till you know what's up. Good luck.

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
Hi,
Yes, the rudder can drop if you remove the bolt that goes through the center of the post. Best is to run a tie down strap under it to hold it up - that worked well for me.
However, that central bolt should not be clamping the tiller head tight to the post, the other bolt, which does not go through the post, is the clamp. There might be some play there, but also it will also be wear in the hole the post goes through. There are no bushings, it just runs in the glass fiber. Catalina Direct have a fix kit for that whereby holes are drilled and epoxy with graphite is injected into the clearance, but I have not tried that. When the boat was on the hard I lowered the rudder a little and slid a piece of plastic sheet (old overhead projector film) up in between the post and the hole. It is not perfect still but better than it was. If the film falls out it just means the play comes back, although it has stayed there for two years now..

Jul 21, 2016
That is very helpful, thanks. I will have to take great care until I can get the bolt replaced - it is sheared close to the end, so is still (mainly) in place. I will look into the fix kit when the boat is pulled for the winter. - the play is now about 20 degrees! Thanks. Hopefully I can nurse it to a marina to get the bolt fixed Friday. Although the picture below is from the
rudder.JPG
internet, the bolt just above the fiberglass which is facing forwards, is the bolt which sheared.

bbdbak

Dec 13, 2016
Catalina 30 Poulsbo, WA
I have a similar problem with my Catalina 30, so read these posts with interest. I contacted the Parts Dept at parts@catalinayachts.com and received helpful information and drawings. It appears, indeed, that the rudder will drop out if your broken bolt is removed. They have a nylon bushing that the cap should be sitting on. You would have to remove the cap to install it. They also include instructions to insert a mylar film shim down in the rudder post-to-fiberglass tube gap, presumably to reduce sloppiness. They also have a drawing showing replacing (building back) the inside of the fiberglass tube that the rudder post is inserted into. I am following up with them for more info and instructions.

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
Good to see the picture. Yes, be careful. I wouldn't use the boat like that - if the part of the broken bolt falls out you could lose your rudder, as the clamp bolt is obviously not holding the tiller head tight to the post as it should. If I were you I'd strap the rudder up ( get a long tie strap, add a sliding weight at mid point, lower over the stern, hook the ends of the strap to a suitable point on each side of the boat and then tighten the strap ) remove the broken part and put any old bolt through the hole - play may be worse with the non-functioning clamp, but it can't fall out. Those rudders are expensive to replace..
What has probably happened is that the clamp bolt has been overtightened, bending the two ears the clamp bolt goes through so that they touch rather than clamping the post. I was able to straighten my clamp from a similar issue by putting a washer between the end of the ears and then tightening the clamp - this rotates the ears back the way they should be. Then, loosen up, remove the washer and re tighten just enough to stop any play.

Jul 21, 2016
Thanks, again - I was planning on taking it into the boatyard, but maybe I will re-think that!

bbdbak

Dec 13, 2016
Catalina 30 Poulsbo, WA
I received more info from Catalina. They said the rudder is filled with foam, so floats, and shouldn't drop out. I would still be nervous about this though.

Jul 21, 2016
  1. OK , thanks - I am surprised that it has foam in it, because it feels heavy out of the water! Anyway, I will take appropriate care when I take the bolt out. I am waiting for Catalina yachts to email me the parts diagram

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
The rudder may be filled with foam. But the foam may be filled with water. Rudders are known to leak often, and become waterlogged. I would never assume that the rudder will float. I'd have alternative means to support the rudder if I was pulling the bolt out of the top of the rudderpost.

Jul 21, 2016
Thanks, I have been in touch with them, and this may well be the way to go. I appreciate the input.