Catalina 27 stern rail mod?

CGwill

Jul 19, 2020
Catalina 27 Moored Stockton Lake
We are new owners of an ‘87 Cat 27. Took my brother and sister in law sailing the other day and wind died so enjoyed a nice evening floating in a cove. However, getting back in the boat over that stern is a bit of a challenge. Has anyone ever removed the horizontal rail in the middle of the stern rail?
Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
DON"T do it !! The previous owner of our boat did so. It compromised the integrity of the entire stern rail. A replacement rail is well over $2k... Winter project is to find a machine shop that can fabricate a replacement tube and weld it in place..

CGwill

Jul 19, 2020
Catalina 27 Moored Stockton Lake
Thanks sailme88. Cutting a piece off was not my first choice but wanted to make sure it wasn’t an easy common fix. Going to add some anti slip tape to that top rung and on the transom as a temp fix then start playing with ideas to make a small boarding ladder extension.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Thanks sailme88. Cutting a piece off was not my first choice but wanted to make sure it wasn’t an easy common fix. Going to add some anti slip tape to that top rung and on the transom as a temp fix then start playing with ideas to make a small boarding ladder extension.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Catalina Direct has a OEM Stern Rail for $1300 and something.... It has one low bar that you'd have to step over. Is your rail configured like that? That is the way mine was. Cat bird seats on both rails are wiggly. The welds have broken on both starboard rail bases and needed re-welding. PO had cut the tubing proud and placed white plastic caps over the butt ends. It looked factory.. Wasn't until I was the same boat with OEM rail that I realized what had happened.