Catalina 27 or Catalina 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

At the moment I have a 1981 Catalina 27 but I'm thinking about getting a Catalina 30 for a little more room. I have owned 6 different sailboats from 22' to 40', so I'm not new to this. Several people have informed me that the 27' sail better than the 30'. Is it true? If so, what is the difference? I would love to hear from Catalina 30 owners. Thank you JOHN

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners.com

27 vs 30

Rob lived aboard a 30 for several years and sailed it every day in the summer. I had a 27 when we met and I'll tell ya, daysailing that 27 was a LOT easier than the 30 but then again, I didn't live aboard. The 30 has waterline over the 27 but she's also significantly more beamy which can slow her down a bit. If you're looking purely at speed, I'd think the 30 would perform better. The 27 might point higher though (depending on condition of sails, etc). Everything's a tradeoff. They're both terrific boats so just go with the one that will fit your needs best. If you weekend a lot, the 30 is definitely roomier. If you mainly daysail, stick with the 27. LaDonna

B

Bob Camarena

I moved to a C-30

I had a Catalina 27 for a few years and moved up to a 30 with no regrets. I agree with LaDonna that the 27 is a little less work to daysail. On the other hand, I also heard the stories of the C-27 being a better performer, but I didn't find that to be true. I wasn't disappointed at all in the C-30 and greatly appreciate the extra room and stability. The C-27 is a bit more responsive but not as stable. I'm a bit on the large side and appreciate the larger v-berth on the 30 and the additional room. Also, even if you do "daysail", does it entail anchoring out for the afternoon and cooking dinner? If so, the 30 might be a better choice. Also, in both the 27 and the 30, I prefer the "traditional" layout vs. the "dinette" layout.

M

Marc

Catalina 30

We currently have a 1985 Catalina Tall Rig with a fin keel. Does a good job pointing and is very easy to sail. My wife and I can easily handle her. We've sailed her in winds up to 25 to 30 knots and she tends to be very stiff which we liked very much. Can't beat the interior space. Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.