Catalina 27 option for 1979 engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptsbug

Aug 14, 2006
Paceship PY23 keel c/b North Branch, MN
I located two seperate 1979 Catalina 27 sailboats that would take a considerable amount of time to drive and inspect and the brokers are worthless when trying to get good information.
One has a Diesel, the other has a Gasoline engine
I am interested in both boats due to the fact I believe they could fit the four of us sleeping out on the hook with reasonable comfort.

What Diesel was available in 1979, was it BMW, YANMAR, UNIVERSAL?

I am assuming the gas engine in the other C-27 is the old ATOMIC.

Any advice or input regarding the two options would be greatly appreciated.

I'm leaning toward the diesel due to safety of the family and the possible install option later of a nice little diesel heater.
I read somewhere that parts for the BMW are extremely rare.

Great website, hopefully I will own a Catalina soon!

Apr 20, 2011
Endeavour E32 St. Augustine
ptsbug,
I sail a '79 E32 with a Yanmar 2QM20. Great engine, the only caveat being it's difficult to find some of the parts. Some are simply no longer produced. I also know a friend who is about to replace an Atomic4 in a Catalina 29 with a Yanmar 2QM15. They're dead simple to work on and, as long as they're properly maintained, bullet proof. Have someone go over the engine carefully. Either could be completely useless. I'd check out the diesel first.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The answer is a Universal diesel or an A4. Based on the age of the boat, the diesel is most likely a raw water cooled 5411 rather than a fresh water cooled M25. Unless the PO swapped out the engines, which means wee just don't know. Why not ask the broker what's on the boat before you go see it?

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
Where will you be sailing most of the time? On water the size of the Great Lakes, an inboard is best, keeps the prop in the water. If parts are available for the specific diesel on the boat - then it beats an Atomic bomb easily.

On smaller water with smaller waves - an outboard is best. Really. Easier to get serviced in areas away from big water - and MUCH cheaper to replace if it goes kaboom. Have you priced a replacement diesel? And priced a 10-15 HP OB? And - used OBs are easy to find anywhere.

OC

ptsbug

Aug 14, 2006
Paceship PY23 keel c/b North Branch, MN
Update on the diesel Catalina 27

The broker found out from the PO that the engine is a Lister-Petter 6.5 hp diesel, from what I can find it is the A1 marine diesel that if maintained will last for a long time, and if it is in need of repair I'll be scouring Ebay for parts.
Time to consider my options.
The boat sits 4 hours away, so I will need extra time to inspect.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I gotta tell you I thought I's heard of them all, but I've never heard of that make. Lister Petter? (Sounds like an alergic reaction to Listerine!) Talk about some difficult, if not impossible to find parts. Sounds like a euro make. Also 6.5 Horses is pathetically small, even for a Cat. 27. The engine recommended by Catalina was usually a 9.9 HP outboard. The 6 horse rating is also at max throttle, and when you factor in the loss of power through transfer via the shaft & transmission you are realy only getting about 4 horses max. This is not nearly enough to push the weight of a C 27, through any kinda chop. At least the Atomic 4 is rated at over 20 HP, and parts are easy to find - plentiful & cheap really. After owning a 5411 Universal 11 horse diesel for my 1980 C 30, I would now take the Atomic Bomb. It matches the age & vintage of the boat, & is what most sailors expect to find in it. Just make sure it has a working bilge blower & exhaust ductwork to vent the gas fumes. I'd also be concerned about what age are the sails and rigging - it is after all, a Sailboat!

Status
Not open for further replies.