Catalina 27 M18 Universal Diesel v Belt loose?

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair

at idle the boat was fine and leaving the marina was fine but when I increased the RPMs I heard a squeal so immediately returned to the marina. Lucky it was close. In the cabin I smelled something burning and a bit of smoke. I’m hoping it’s the loose V belt ? I’m hiring a mechanic. Does that belt look loose enough to be the source of the problem ?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yes! Don't know when it was last changed; however, you should order a new belt. Skip the mechanic; replacing a belt should be within the capabilities of a boat owner, in the event that you have a belt problem "out there!" Replace the existing belt and keep the old one as a spare/backup.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I heard a squeal so immediately returned to the marina. Lucky it was close. In the cabin I smelled something burning and a bit of smoke.
Could also be a bearing that has seized. Just had this happen to me - it was the bearing for the water pump. Good luck chasing this down.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Agree with BigEasy. Also look for black dust around the front of the engine. That would be belt dust which is another sign the belt is slipping. As BE said, learn to change the belt and always keep a spare.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Way too loose! And besides the belt flopping around that black stuff all over the place is excessive belt dust which is a clear symptom of that. Hopefully you don't need a mechanic to replace your belt and adjust the tension.