catalina 27 lifelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
hope this isn't a dupe. anybody know why catalina 27 lifelines angle into the deck and leave a big unprotected gap while catalina 30 life lines go straight into the pulpit? seems like it might easy to slip off a 27 while up forward since the life line disappears.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
I don't have firsthand knowledge, but I'd guess it has something to do with the genoa. Maybe the genoas on the 30 have a higher clew and don't drag on the lifelines as much. Again, just a guess.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It's just the way they made them. The C22 and C25 are the same, larger boats have them going all the way forward. Not an issue. You shouldn't be "depending" on them when you're up there anyway. You "target" should be the pulpit. Lifelines are NOT "lifelines" they're only visual boundaries for you and a light handhold guide forward. There's some merit in the genoa issue, but the bot builder has NO clue as to high YOU are going to install your clew.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
stu, are you saying you prefer an open deck to life lines? like the money we'd both save about st4000 issues, i'd settle for the same bucks for every soul lifelines stopped from going overboard.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Not at all. I'm saying you shouldn't depend on them and the different "distancesd" between the cabintop and the bow of a C22, C25 and C27 simply aren't that much. That said, that's the way they made the boats, and if the OP wants to extend the lifeline horizontally all the way forward, all he has to do is weld a loop on the pulpit and do it.

If he does, and he has a deck sweeper jib or genoa, the foot of the sail will be hung up on that higher lifeline if he does. Unless he raises the tack.

I sailed a C25 for 12 years on SF Bay and simply do not see two feet of lowered lifeline as a safety issue. My opinion only.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
still and always friends stu, but still doen't answer my question why catalina chose to do this on snaller boat. i have no problem with my 150 genny chafiing the lifeline on my 30.

Dec 29, 2011
Catalina 27 Kootenay Lake
I have a 150 sweeper genoa furler on my C-27. and it can get hung up and can chaffe on the lifeline s.depending on sail setting.but not too much of an issue but i have considered lowering the line to help..

Status
Not open for further replies.