Catalina 27 automatic bilge pump installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
I have a 1984 Catalina 27 with a manual Whale bilge pump installed - i want to add an automatic pump. Has anyone experience of this? Do I need to run the extraction pipe completely separate from the manual system, or can I push the water from the auto pump through the Whale pump? If a separate pipe is required I guess I can join the new to the existing with a "Y" connection before the transom exit.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I had an 82' with the manual pump on the rear cockpit wall next to the tiller. I replaced it with a new one and in the bilge added an auto 12v bilge to the same hose. It seems to work well using either pump.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Ditto what he said, it works fine on my '84 thru same hose. I would steer clear of the Sahara all-in-one pump, I had two fail on my boat.

Jun 21, 2012
Catalina C27 Middle River
I installed a pump in my 80 Catalina works great. I would recommend you install a float switch vice an auto pump. There is plenty of room for both and with a three way switch for auto, on or off you have it made. Just disconnect the manual pump and install in line.

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina 27 Simcoe
Installed a Pump

Yes here is how I did it. I glued a block of wood in the billage using polyurethane glue, you could also use epoxy.
I then had to run the wire through the dinette lazerett back to the battery, and attached it direct.

I used clear flexible plastic pipe, no backup valve as this can stick, and directed the pipe through bulkheads to the back of the boat. If you send it you the side your boat can take on water when you heel. I had to drill about 4 holes to guide this pipe aft.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.