Catalina 27 (1980) port cockpit locker

Sep 22, 2020
Catalina 27 Tall Rig Poulsbo
Hello all,
We just purchased our first sailboat, a 1980 Cat 27 Tall Rig, traditional layout. I've noticed that the port cockpit locker is HUGE. the only think in mine is two batteries and the outboard controller. I'm wondering how to best make use of this space. Any ideas or especially photos would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Congratulations, nice boat. We had a C22 for 5 years, then a C25 for 13, and this one since 1998. I remember the port locker in our C22 was soooo deep and huge. The 1981 C25 had "improved" that locker "nonsense" and made the port side a nifty 6 gallon fuel tank storage compartment aft with the sole level with the cockpit sole, and the starboard side storage was over the quarterberth and so not deep at all. Forward of the fuel tank was a big deep locker that gave access to the back of the electrical panel, I could get in there, and out, too! :) Don't know if I cvould do it now. Found big stuff like brooms and boat hooks and buckets and sail bags worked.
I think you'll find answers on bigger boat forums, because Catalina, at least, made some of their lockers on their bigger boats similar to your predicament. It's not limited to C27s.
There is also an owners association website, which, if you haven't visited, you should. www.catalina27.org
Good luck, have fun with your new boat.

Apr 24, 2015
Catalina 27 TR Rocky River
Congratulations, nice boat. We had a C22 for 5 years, then a C25 for 13, and this one since 1998. I remember the port locker in our C22 was soooo deep and huge. The 1981 C25 had "improved" that locker "nonsense" and made the port side a nifty 6 gallon fuel tank storage compartment aft with the sole level with the cockpit sole, and the starboard side storage was over the quarterberth and so not deep at all. Forward of the fuel tank was a big deep locker that gave access to the back of the electrical panel, I could get in there, and out, too! :) Don't know if I cvould do it now. Found big stuff like brooms and boat hooks and buckets and sail bags worked.
I think you'll find answers on bigger boat forums, because Catalina, at least, made some of their lockers on their bigger boats similar to your predicament. It's not limited to C27s.
There is also an owners association website, which, if you haven't visited, you should. www.catalina27.org
Also in the port locker is a door that is accessed from cabin for trash. It is made to put trash bag just forward of the batteries. I also keep a portable jump start battery in the same locked aft of batteries in my Cat 27 Tall

Dec 9, 2020
Catalina 27 Eureka
There is also an owners association website, which, if you haven't visited, you should.

FYI www.catalina27.org is dead nothing ever loads. I keep seeing people post that link all over but its dead?

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
We have a tool bag, four throwable pfds, two beach chairs (that deploy perfectly on either side of the traveler looking forward) and "Mr. Softy", our extra oversized fender that we use for additional protection when rafting up, helping other boaters, etc. On the forward bulkhead is a series of dowels on which we hang extra lines. Everything fits neatly. A friend made an extra shelf that rides on a rail, positioned maybe 24" deep.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Paul and Keary..
Welcome to the forum. Your port of Poulsbo is a favorite place to visit. One great bakery. Congrats on your new to you boat.

Deep lockers can be a gift from the gods or a dark and uninviting hole where boat stuff disappears. I have one large locker under the cockpit seat. It provides access to all sorts of space. It gets emptied at least once a year. I am still working on improving the organization of the space and I have had the boat for 5 years. The challenge is there are so many projects that when deciding to dive into the hole and start organizing or go out for a sail on our beautiful waters, the go out for a sail generally wins. Thus the forced annual empty of the locker plan.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of your boat. Say hi if you see me out in Dog Fish Bay.

E2CBA09C-9332-4AEA-A72D-345D801039B5_1_105_c.jpeg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
FYI www.catalina27.org is dead nothing ever loads. I keep seeing people post that link all over but its dead?
Try this link

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Congrats on Your Choice, Keep us updated !