Catalina 22 Swing Keel Touch-up Paint Recommendations

Jul 6, 2022
Catalina C22 11994 Scorpion Bay Marina
I'm new to sailing. I have a 1984 Catalina 22 that has some light surface rust on the keel. It's not in need of a removal and sandblasting, just some touch up in spots. The Catalina manual says to use zinc chromate paint which I'm familiar with, but I'm having a difficult time locating the right product. An internet search comes up with everything and more brands than I can count. I'm lost. Can anyone point me to a specific product name that will do the job and is affordable? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I am almost afraid to post this but.…. Treat the rust spots with OSPHO, or other rust treatment, brush on or spray rustolium rusty metal primer. I like to brush it goes on it thicker. Then I topcoat with Bear Masonry Stucco paint below. It sticks well and does not rust after application. The cost is reasonable, it has worked well on my Cat 22 for the last three years. If the keel gets a scrape I recoat that part. My boat is used in salt water, and it gets out two times a month, stored on a trailer. I would not recommend this for a boat left in the water.

let the comments begin!

Dano

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
let the comments begin!
Sounds legit enough to me!

I just wipe a little waterproof grease on the rust spots, as needed. I use "Corrosion Block" brand. A thin film lasts several days and nights cruising in salt water. Works great.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Jul 6, 2022
Catalina C22 11994 Scorpion Bay Marina
I followed your advice (danooxnard), here is a picture of the result. I think it looks pretty good. Thank you!

Attachments

Apr 30, 2022
Catalina 22 Los Angeles
I am almost afraid to post this but.…. Treat the rust spots with OSPHO, or other rust treatment, brush on or spray rustolium rusty metal primer. I like to brush it goes on it thicker. ...
My keel is about 33% as rusty as dano's was when he started this thread. The shape is good. The white paint is not very thick and little rust spots are emerging.

Is there a way I can remove the paint and then OSPHO the whole keel? Citristrip, perhaps?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
No intention of derailing the post and the sage advice-- as you proceed be cognizant of the materials. It's cast Iron -- it's rusting from the inside out regardless of what you do to it. Short of the full resto and sealing... you will be patching with some frequency. Stay on it-- perfectly viable strategy. My keel would be considered in excellent shape before I touched it.... you can see that regardless of a potentially clean exterior , complete rust magnet through and through.

IMG_1173.JPG IMG_0423.JPG

Jul 13, 2015
Is there a way I can remove the paint and then OSPHO the whole keel? Citristrip, perhaps?
Probably-- a lot of folks have done amazing things manually, but I have to admit the sandblasting routine was so worth the effort. I didn't have to grind for days on end I picked it up clean and doused it with epoxy. Even with all he extra effort I eventually put in to the keel, the sandblasting / sealing was very efficient all things considered.

Apr 30, 2022
Catalina 22 Los Angeles
I have read the OSPHO directions and it seems that the recommended prep for painted surfaces is to wire brush. I wonder whether Citristrip might just create a mess and not much added benefit as opposed to just priming over the paint.

So the procedure seems to be:
  1. Wire Brush
  2. Vacuum dust
  3. OSPHO / let dry 24hrs
  4. Brush off residue
  5. Maybe OSPHO again
  6. Mineral Spirits
  7. Two coats of Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer
  8. Two coats of paint
Dan mentioned Behr stucco paint. It seems quite reasonably priced. Might there be an even more resilient paint that would cost more but might be worth the investment?

Thanks for sharing your experience @pclarksurf. I took another look at my keel yesterday and, unless viewed up close, the rust spots aren't very visible. I'd say I'm in the "just keep on top of it with a little OSPHO and paint" stage. Just curious, how long did the keel resto take you? I'm knee deep in little projects and I'm enjoying the process, learning a lot. The thought of doing the keel is beyond me at this point but it's very inspiring to learn about the process.

Jul 13, 2015
Just curious, how long did the keel resto take you? I'm knee deep in little projects and I'm enjoying the process, learning a lot. The thought of doing the keel is beyond me at this point but it's very inspiring to learn about the process.
My resto was a bit of an epic played out over more time than necessary. Most focused folk could probably knock it out in two weekends worth of focused effort. I had multiple projects going at once and I kept setting it aside and coming back. The gory details here:

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
i would stay away from the Behr paint in my earlier post. . It did not hold up well after a few years It was peeling off not much rust underneath so the ospho worked. . I don't have any suggestions at this time.
Dano