Cat 27, Vanity is thy name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Last year's MSD and plumbing projects still left the compartment feeling like an outhouse instead of a bathroom. So, with some left over counter material from a recent kitchen remodel and a hunk of cherry wood, I built this sliding vanity to make the head more functional and attractive. I need to add a small shelf over the vented loops, but since I put on a few coats of urethane today I thought I'd share the project up to this point.

Attachments

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Dresses it up nice....

Is that a marble countertop...;) ?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Looks good! Nice work!
Looks real nice Joe. Where does the vanity slide?
Have you ever thought about flipping the door over and mounting on the other side so that it opens toward the closet on the other side? I would make the head much roomier and still give privacy.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
vanity

Squid, the counter is Samsung solid surface... like Dupont Corian. Around $35/ft. Easy to work with, cut and sand, etc. When I had new kitchen countertop installed last year they wait till installation before cutting out holes for sink and rangetop.... I saved the pieces (hell, I paid for 'em.. like a $100 worth of material removed!). It looks like granite but you can work it like hardwood or starboard.... really nice stuff... I'll bet Ross knows about it.

Thanks merlinuxo...

Caguy........ check the pics, the head was repositioned by enlarging the platform, vanity slides back under factory shelf so the head lid can be raised... also makes a nice backrest. Pulling the cabinet forward allows you to use the basin more conveniently.

The cabinet is attached to counter underneath with short screws and corner braces. It Hangs. The front and back fiddles have channels that "clamp" the top to the cabinet.... whole thing slides on the counter top and the guides on either side. I thought about adding another set of slides to the cabinet itself... but you must realize there are no "square" corners in this area... it's a tough fit. The challenge was deciding how to handle the right side ... I made a bracket with 1x4's to surround the plumbing and mounted the guide on that.

Regarding the door.... uh.. what door? I have a privacy CURTAIN between head and main salon and it's pulled open 95% of the time.

Attachments

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
That looks like the same material we used for our galley top project, love it. Still have a section to use on the head, whenever I get down the list to that honey-do.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Joe-Nice work! My 27 didn't have a sink at all. I like the sliding approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.