Cargo Ship snaps in half

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The Liberty ships were known to break in half. In the video below, a nicely done history of this design and it's contribution to WWII, talks about the "new" technique of welding being the cause for them to break in half. That is actually only part of the story. The other main contributor was what is called the ductile to brittle transition temperature, a metallurgical quality that was not fully understood prior to these ships breaking in half. The video is not like those above, but I do think it's quite interesting, and does show one shot of a Liberty ship broken in half.

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks for posting. I didn't know much of that. A salute to those mariners who sailed on those sitting ducks. Bad days indeed.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Some. The ones at Powell River are cement.
I never knew this.

I thought they were all just made from metal. How could they have met production speed requirements of the war effort in Ferro cement?

dj

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I never knew this.

I thought they were all just made from metal. How could they have met production speed requirements of the war effort in Ferro cement?

dj
Not sure about that. They may have been built to escape German magnetic mines just like Bay class minesweepers were wooden boats with stainless fittings and engines.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Interesting. Found this info supporting the use of FerroCement ships. Liberty ships were not identified. Barges were.

Interest was renewed during WW2 once again as a way of dealing with shortages of the more traditional materials. In 1942 the US government commissioned the building of 24 self-propelled ferrocement ships as well as large “ship” barges which although much larger than conventional barges were still towed by tugs.

These barges played an important role in the war taking part in many operations included the Normandy D-Day landings. Here the barges functioned as floating blockades and carried ammunition and fuel.

ss_faith_completed-640x587.jpg

Photograph of the SS Faith, the first ship built of concrete in the United States, soon after launch in 1918.

They were also deployed in the South Pacific. Here they were kitted out as refrigerated canteen barges. They provided food for the soldiers including fr0zen meats and fresh poultry. They even offered much-welcomed treats such as ice cream.

After the war

After the war there was little further development or building with ferrocement. Many of the ships were scrapped or used as breakwaters. However, thanks to the efforts of hobbyists and enthusiasts many examples have been restored and preserved and can still be seen today at various locations across the globe.

There is even an annual national concrete canoe building competition organized by the American Society of Civil Engineers.

powell_river_aerial_2004-640x398.jpg

Powell River- British Columbia

One of the largest collections can be seen at Powell River in British Columbia where ten ships form a breakwater for the lumber mill. The SS Selma which was launched on the very day that Germany signed the treaty of Versailles can be found at Seawolf Park in Galveston.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I anchored for a nite behind a breakwater made of ferrocement ships near Kiptopeake State Park in the Chesapeake bay.. here is a little of that history... if you click on the pics in the story, you can scroll through several up close photos.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
It was a 40 year old ship. It would be great if they could examine the wreakage and see if the keel was rusted through.
On another site they discuss the attributes of the ship in the video. Things to the effect of single skin, riverine: not built to deal with ocean waves. She was apparently carrying urea. As Capta's picture suggests, the problem is more widespread than one might think. It is easy to imagine the locks holding the containers together in stacks breaking on the wave crest, and then the containers getting squeezed overboard in the trough. It might have helped for the Ukrainian vessel to have stopped transmitting "Mayday" so someone could answer, and for him to have advised his position - even in Ukrainian.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Benefit of the DSC radio, is it will keep its head even as you lose yours, and put out a good position report. You could see ships nearby as this was happening, rescue should have been only 10 min away.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
just to add a little more information, the vessel that broke in half was at anchor.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
The Liberty ships were known to break in half. In the video below, a nicely done history of this design and it's contribution to WWII, talks about the "new" technique of welding being the cause for them to break in half. That is actually only part of the story. The other main contributor was what is called the ductile to brittle transition temperature, a metallurgical quality that was not fully understood prior to these ships breaking in half. The video is not like those above, but I do think it's quite interesting, and does show one shot of a Liberty ship broken in half.

dj
My father was the skipper of several Liberty ships in WWII. None of his broke in half, but he did see several torpedoed.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Sadly this is not uncommon, photo taken when i was flying on Nimrod patrol aircraft 500nm off SW UK. We lost 5 of the crew who tried to jump into dinghies in the night, those that remained till day break were lifted off by a Dutch Lynx helicopter, which if you look closely can see in the photo.
mv Victory.jpeg