Cargo Ship snaps in half

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
interesting use of the radio. Understandable panic initially.

saw a ship to starboard at the beginning of that. I assume they helped rescue the crew ? Only half of them survived.

Would merchant ships have alarms for alerting crew to get to deck muster stations in situations like this ?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Here is another video ... not as dramatic but maybe harder to watch.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It was a 40 year old ship. It would be great if they could examine the wreakage and see if the keel was rusted through.
Hull intégrité was a common problem for old vessels under some flags.
My brother in law used to handle SAR for ships off Canada's Atlantic coast.
The worst incident was when the bow broke off a freighter and then a Sea King SAR crew out of Nova Scotia crashed enroute.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In the story about a USCG rescue off Chatham MA, The Finest Hours, there were 2 T-6 takers that broke in half during a violent nor'easter. In those days they weren't that well built. One of them was towed to a shipyard, repaired and returned to service. One hull of another had to be shelled by the USN to sink it. The oilers didn't sink that easily because of the remaining oil in them. Had they been carrying ore, well.... glug-a-lug.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
This is nothing new, or in fact, unusual.
It's the main reason I tell folks they are safer on a small boat in those conditions. Small boats rarely span a couple of waves with nothing supporting the middle. We sail up one side and down the other instead. Any well built and seaworthy pleasure craft should be able to survive the worst weather, even if her skipper makes a few errors.

satiri 2.jpg

broken ship.jpg

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Wasn't the Great Western a victim.of that ?
Flex until broken.
Great Western worked to New York for 8 years until her owners went out of business. She was sold to the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company and was scrapped in 1856 after serving as a troop ship during the Crimean War.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Great Western worked to New York for 8 years until her owners went out of business. She was sold to the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company and was scrapped in 1856 after serving as a troop ship during the Crimean War.
Hmm..
I seem to remember a very early and large steamship that broke in half at sea. :confused:

Can't seem to find anything in a quick search. I keep getting a lot of hits on the ship from the original post.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Well... I did find some other interesting cases where ships broke in half:

Or were cut in half, salvaged, and repaired after running aground:

"The undertaking would present no great difficulty now, but at that time the use of the oxy-acetylene flame was unknown. The only way to do the work was to cut through the whole ship, including the main strength deck and the double bottom, with dynamite. "

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Last heard from the skipper of One Australia was "Release the backstay!" Not really but that's what I imagine. Nevertheless with rigging tensions tight and the boat built light, a few waves and you've got a broken boat.
That was many generations of boats ago. Imagine the IMOCA's. Crazy!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg