Carb Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sean

Upon trying to start my 1977 Cat 27 Atomic 4 engine, and being unsuccesful , I found large amounts of fuel (gas) in the oil. Upon checking several web pages this could be either a stuck float valve or a need for a replacement fuel pumb/carb. I was looking for any DIY information on trying to get the float valve unstuck, or any other thoughts for other Atomic owners who may have had similar situtations. I did find it comforting that upon draining the "bad oil" she fired right up and wanted to run. You got to love these old motors! Thanks for your help!

S

Steve W

well.....

I have only seen one Atomic 4, but I am pretty good with gas engines, so maybe this will help. Usually if a float is stuck and the engine will run, lots of fuel will spray out of the top of the carb into the air cleaner, and the engine will spew black smoke. My guess is the fuel pump diaphram has failed, letting lots of fuel into the crank case. You could disconnect the hoses on the mechanical fuel pump, install a marine rated electric one and never have to worry about that happening again. Hope this helps.

S

Sean

Thanks Steve!

Well you are the second person to tell me to look at the mechanical fuel pump as the culprit. Looks like a good weekend project! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.