Captain "Crash"... Still funny watching for the third time..

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
is oldie but goodie.......

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Regarding the original video: that's one DAMN crowded anchorage!!! How deep was the water, and did everybody have at least 5:1 scope out? If so, no wonder everybody was hitting everybody else. Trying to get that big boat into that crowd even under power would be... unadvisable. Under sail was just ludicrous.

druid

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I once sailed into a harbor that was described in the guidebook as one to not ever enter under sail power and never enter after sunset. Oh, and I sailed in during twilight. I jammed up on a reef that I didn't see, so the guidebook was right. However, ignorant/stupid it looked to the many people watching, circumstances dictated that we do it and take our chances. Fortunately, several locals came out to help and there was no damage done. So I'm not so quick to judge other people's misfortune - especially when I don't know what lead up to it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Typical BVI anchorage during high season. Everyday it is the Camptown Races to make it to one of about 15 guide-book harbors before 1400 where you swing shoulder to armpit with some Jamoke from the hinterland who is learning to play with ground tackle while high on the Chardonnay. Increasingly the local authorities have installed mooring balls to blunt the chaos. But you still have to have slow boat maneuvering skills or you risk pulling your bowman off the foredeck.