Capri 18 Bilge Pump Hose

May 25, 2019
Catalina Capri 18 Bronx, NY
Hello Friends,
I have seen many references to this mystery "hose to nowhere" and then some very confusing replies about it.

My 1987 Capri 18 has this hose in the anchor locker (starboard aft locker) and presumably it leads to the bilge. I would like to be able to pump it out manually when needed. I don't have any electric running on the boat right now, so a simple manual pump would be preferred, but I am just not sure of what is needed in addition to the pump. Most manual pumps seem to have a hose diameter smaller than this one (1 and 3/8").

Any suggestions on what I can use to make this

Bilge Hose.jpg

Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
It does lead to the bilge below the battery box. I believe there was an optional Gusher hand pump that was attached to the side of the footwell below the seat top. I think they may be available through West Marine, Hamilton Marine, Defender, etc. If it comes as a kit all you need should be there. If not a few hose clamps and a thru hull fitting should be enough. Good Luck!

May 25, 2019
Thanks, I am giving up on this because the pumps they sell are all for mounting below the deck (I cant image mounting it on top of the deck, there just isn't any room, and the instructions say not to mount it inside of the locker. I bought a $25 hand pump from Amazon with a 6 foot tube and will just pump water over the side or into the cockpit to drain out the back. I cant afford a through hull fitting when I have 2 such holes in the main cockpit anyway.

If you can point me in the direction for the right parts to adapt this hose to the intake on the manual pump (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RDHU68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
I have the same hand pump and have had it for years. I just stick the end in the bilge under the battery box and and lay the discharge hose on the foot well deck with the water draining out the aft scuppers and pump away. Simple and effective. I very seldom get any water in the boat and only do when it is stored on land.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019
Thanks very much! On to the next problem of figuring out how to keep rainwater out, which I am pretty sure is coming from a gap between the crib board and the slides, sending water inside the cabin instead of into the deck.

I have the same hand pump and have had it for years. I just stick the end in the bilge under the battery box and and lay the discharge hose on the foot well deck with the water draining out the aft scuppers and pump away. Simple and effective. I very seldom get any water in the boat and only do when it is stored on land.

ErikVR

Jan 22, 2022
Catalina 18 Petaluma
Thanks, I am giving up on this because the pumps they sell are all for mounting below the deck (I cant image mounting it on top of the deck, there just isn't any room, and the instructions say not to mount it inside of the locker. I bought a $25 hand pump from Amazon with a 6 foot tube and will just pump water over the side or into the cockpit to drain out the back. I cant afford a through hull fitting when I have 2 such holes in the main cockpit anyway.

If you can point me in the direction for the right parts to adapt this hose to the intake on the manual pump (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RDHU68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that would be greatly appreciated.
Catalina, or a Catalina dealer, often installed an optional Whale Gusher hand-powered bilge pump in the vertical wall portion below the starboard cockpit bench seat, near the locker area (see the black thing in the attached photo). The discharge through-hull is a Marelon mushroom-style fitting in the transom behind the locker and above the waterline, just below the motor mount.

Attachments