Can’t get the shore power inlet off. - KIND OF RESOLVED

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
5200 will release with a heat gun , I changed out 2 transducers and 3 thru hulls and other peoples boats done with 5200 no problem ,just keep it moving and heat the fitting more than the glass ,use common sense not to burn gel coat.
Should mention as you heat the fitting ,get someone on the inside of boat to start pushing on the fitting working it using a piece of wood ,it will come out
with no damage to glass

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@HanBan I often think that the part that won’t come off I has a mind of it’s own... But I have now revised that mistaken idea. It is really the boat. She is testing you. Will you immediately breakout the hammer and crash away or will you seek a persistence approach going at it a little at a time coaxing the offending part off the boat. Like removing a barnacle. You want the barnacle to want to leave as smashing it only makes a bigger mess.
Start with @Mechone approach heating the part so as to heat the glue. Then gentle work a thin putty knife around all of the part where ever you see the glue. If you can get the part to start to pull away this might give you the space to try the piano wire. My suspicion is that once heated you will have success with the putty knife.
The test your boat is giving you will be repeated. It is to see if you will stick with her when the storm waters attack in the middle of the night. Or will you abandon her to Davy Jones.
Persistence.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 323 Pax River NAS
@HanBan I often think that the part that won’t come off I has a mind of it’s own... But I have now revised that mistaken idea. It is really the boat. She is testing you. Will you immediately breakout the hammer and crash away or will you seek a persistence approach going at it a little at a time coaxing the offending part off the boat. Like removing a barnacle. You want the barnacle to want to leave as smashing it only makes a bigger mess.
Start with @Mechone approach heating the part so as to heat the glue. Then gentle work a thin putty knife around all of the part where ever you see the glue. If you can get the part to start to pull away this might give you the space to try the piano wire. My suspicion is that once heated you will have success with the putty knife.
The test your boat is giving you will be repeated. It is to see if you will stick with her when the storm waters attack in the middle of the night. Or will you abandon her to Davy Jones.
Persistence.
She is certainly testing me, but I do love her and that won't change.
The piano wire didn't work, so I'm going to wait for some solvent to spray on the back of the fitting from the inside. I'm a little worried about using a heat gun on her, as I've never used one before.

It'll all work out in the end.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
5200 will release with a heat gun , I changed out 2 transducers and 3 thru hulls and other peoples boats done with 5200 no problem ,just keep it moving and heat the fitting more than the glass ,use common sense not to burn gel coat.
Should mention as you heat the fitting ,get someone on the inside of boat to start pushing on the fitting working it using a piece of wood ,it will come out
with no damage to glass
This sounds like a good plan, but I've never used a heat gun before. With my luck, I'd set the boat on fire.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
You might find that you don't actually need to replace the whole outer cover to fix the broken pins. We just had a problem with one of the wires inside ours breaking off the other day. We were able to just take off the screws on the inside of the fitting, and then pull out the whole "guts" without moving the cover.
David, I was getting so frustrated with this little repair job that I'd gladly just replace the innards to this fitting. I've gone to a bunch of electrical stores in the area and none of them have the correct receptacle.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
David, I was getting so frustrated with this little repair job that I'd gladly just replace the innards to this fitting. I've gone to a bunch of electrical stores in the area and none of them have the correct receptacle.
Sorry to hear that. Our Marina chandlery said they could order the inner part, then we found a place a few towns away with it in stock.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
It’s possible that a previous owner may have replaced the receptacle and in their “wisdom” may have used a strong adhesive.
I replaced mine a few years ago; there was only a rubber gasket that allowed the receptacle to be simply removed. Have to agree that careful heating with a heat gun, a putty knife / piano wire will get you where you need to go or wait until the debond solution arrives if you are more comfortable with that method. Please, no sealant on the new receptacle! Sealant only on the four screws for ease of removal in future. Good luck.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
If you don't trust yourself with a heat gun, try a hair dryer on it's highest setting!

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
In the end, I gave up trying to get the inlets off. I just couldn't get them to budge, so I replaced the innards, some of the wiring, and took the opportunity to install a galvanic isolator while I was at it. Finally, we have shore power again. :)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I'm going to wait for some solvent to spray
I just looked up Rick D's good suggestion of DeBond. It is nail polish remover, in mineral oil, with some smell good stuff and a cleaning agent. The rest is a trade secret.

I am not saying don't get it, but its claims are pretty good about 5200 bond killing.

Jim...

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
I just looked up Rick D's good suggestion of DeBond. It is nail polish remover, in mineral oil, with some smell good stuff and a cleaning agent. The rest is a trade secret.

I am not saying don't get it, but its claims are pretty good about 5200 bond killing.

Jim...
Jim,

It arrived today, but after all the work I've already done on the electrical system, I'm just going to leave it as is for now. Perhaps at the end of the year when she's hauled out I'll give it another go.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps at the end of the year when she's hauled out I'll give it another go.
Just get proper connections into place. Be sure you have them adequately insulated. Then Go Sailing.... You can do the upgrade come winter.

Has the mast arrived yet?

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Just get proper connections into place. Be sure you have them adequately insulated. Then Go Sailing.... You can do the upgrade come winter.

Has the mast arrived yet?
Nah, still no mast. I don't want to keep bugging the lovely lady at beneteau about it because I don't think she can do anything about the backordered masts with US Spars. Apparently they are all backed up for all the damage that was done in the Caribbean last year.