Can’t get the shore power inlet off. - KIND OF RESOLVED

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 323 Pax River NAS
hi guys,

I’m on my boat at the moment trying to change out the shore power inlet thingy, but it seems to be stuck to the boat.

Is there a trick to getting these things off?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Usually 4 screws holding it on along with some good sealant/glue.. You've accessed the backside to have a look?

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Usually 4 screws holding it on along with some good sealant/glue.. You've accessed the backside to have a look?
I’ve taken the screws off, but it’s not budging. There seems to be some clear(ish) rubbery stuff on the backside (inside the locker).

I’ve tried winching it off - no good. Trying to yank it off while screaming - no good. Jamming a knife between the outlet thing and the hull - just scratched the paint.

I’m totally stuck.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
If it's glued on with 5200 you're in for a world of pain.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Let us know how it goes with the removal. I too want to replace mine and saw how tight they looked against the hull. I also order some of that stuff...... sounds good!

Good luck!

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Here you go. But seriously, good luck.
I’ve got an oscillating saw, but I’m not sure how badly it’ll damage the hull. Totally not feeling good about it.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
A multi-tool might work without causing a lot of damage. Oh, I see you call it by the correct name. I don't think it would hurt to give it a try if you were careful to hold it right at the seal.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
A multi-tool might work without causing a lot of damage. Oh, I see you call it by the correct name. I don't think it would hurt to give it a try if you were careful to hold it right at the seal.
I initially thought this might work, but the fitting seems to be so tight against the transom that I can't even get a razor blade in there.
At this point, it might be easier just to have it cut out of the hull, patched up and repainted. A hell of a lot of trouble for one snapped prong in the power receptacle.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You might try calling Beneteau and ask them what is used to glue it before experimenting. I'd also ask where else they use this stuff on their boats for future reference and why.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I am beginning to see this. The little job has become a pain in the bum.
Welcome to boating. Don't fret- it will get done, but do not chop up the hull and gelcoat in the process. That will only make the job alot worse.

HanBan

Jan 18, 2018
Let us know how it goes with the removal. I too want to replace mine and saw how tight they looked against the hull. I also order some of that stuff...... sounds good!

Good luck!
I'm going to give piano wire a try later today, and I'll post an update on how that comes along.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You might find that you don't actually need to replace the whole outer cover to fix the broken pins. We just had a problem with one of the wires inside ours breaking off the other day. We were able to just take off the screws on the inside of the fitting, and then pull out the whole "guts" without moving the cover.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Try a putty knife and hammer put the knif in the seam and hit with hammer and easy to replace tools than repair boat,if replacing it try hit it from back side with hammer and jam metal tool in between seal,I did this with thruhull with 5200 and no damage to boat.
Nick