Cant blocks for winch

Jun 14, 2021
Olson 30 30 Oakville
Hi all,

Need cant blocks for winch base to level them out (Olson 30)
Was thinking a simple triangle of stainless, bolted through deck.
Think I've seen it before.
Anyone have a source?
Better idea?

Thanks,

Andrew

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hi Andrew, welcome to the forums?

Let me make sure I undertstand... you want a winch pedestal or pad that will affix to the deck, then the winch will mount to it, which will slightly raise and level the winch?

If so, I believe there are teak products designed for that purpose but they probably won't be cut at the angle you need.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This writeup on the boat doesn't mention the angle of the winches being a problem. It does say they are barely adequate. Might help on your quest to know what offset angle you need.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Not quite sure what is being requested, but the OP may be having overrides on the primary winches because they are mounted flat on a sloped side deck. (That's how the were mounted on our O-34, and I build risers or 'plinths' to raise them and level them. ) Now the sheet comes up at about 5 degrees and we no longer have overrides. I have seen several other Olson 34's with the same modification, but there are no O-30's racing in my immediate area.
Perhaps he can provide a photo or two to illustrate the situation?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
This can also be done using epoxy with structural fillers. Very fast to make, strong and long lasting. It depends if you want to look of wood or don't.

dj

Jun 14, 2021
Olson 30 30 Oakville
Thanks for the 4esponses.
Yes. The deck is off some 10 degrees each side.
Need an easy built up can't to raise and level winches.
The epoxy idea is interesting.
Still thinking an 11 gauge stainless steel triangle build up is also interesting and slick.
(If I do say so myself : )

Thanks to all.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...........Need cant blocks for winch base to level them out...........
What diameter do you need? Find 4.5 - 6.5" Ø canted pads here: 5.25" Teak sail boat winch pad canted, compass mounting block angled | eBay
OR buy one of these and cut to the required angle: Amazon.com : SeaTeak Winch Pad : Boat Trailer Winches And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors
1623767624466.png

You might find this article on how to install a sailboat winch pad helpful: Captain Curran's sailing blog: How to install a sailboat winch pad

Last edited: