Can You Name a Boat the Same Name as Your Former Boat?

Oct 12, 2014
Catalina 30 St. Augustine
I want to rename my current new (old, 1979) boat the same name as my boat I just sold. I also don't want to offend any sea Gods. I'm not particularly superstitious, but I want to cover my bases :) I also don't want to add "2" or "Two" after the name. Has anyone out there ever done this? If so, did you experience a suspicious run of bad luck? Just wondering.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We were pretty invested in the name Palmetto Moon. I renamed the original to Carolina Moon. That worked out well. Only had to buy Carolina from the sign company. We moved all of our items with the original logo to the new Palmetto Moon. Turns out, the guy that bought Carolina Moon liked that name better than Palmetto Moon. Worked out well for both of us. Other sailing club members referred to our boats as the New Moon and the Old Moon.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Kermit.....So if you were on deck naked they could call it FULL MOON!

I have done this before. I had a series of boats under the name Bad Obsession. I had a day sailor and then my Hunter 22. It was a good name but it was played out with the last boat.

I like the Kermit solution of renaming the old one and naming the new one. It would mean a few renaming ceremonies though!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
There's a ceremony to appease Neptune where the present boat name is removed from his "list" and the new name duly presented, I believe. I admit not using it (the ceremony) upon changing 10 years ago the name of my present boat to what it is now. So far, no wrath up us that I've noticed!

Sep 8, 2014
Hunter 34 Muskegon Yacht Club
You should write the old name on a piece of wood and put it down in the bildge....now reneme to your hearts content!!!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I want to rename my current new (old, 1979) boat the same name as my boat I just sold. I also don't want to offend any sea Gods. I'm not particularly superstitious, but I want to cover my bases :) I also don't want to add "2" or "Two" after the name. Has anyone out there ever done this? If so, did you experience a suspicious run of bad luck? Just wondering.
Yes, you can. And, you can change her name again and again to whatever you wish, whenever you wish.

Not a problem. And yes, I'm an infidel.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Having named 3 boats and conducted proper de-naming and naming ceremonies for all 3 I'll provide my perspective.

To the original question can boats share names or can you keep a name and pass it on to another boat. My response is Yes. there are several instances of people who have kept boat names and simply passed them on to their next boat, sometimes with I or 2 added sometimes without.

As to naming a new boat. Please do an internet search and you will find many ways of handling the ceremonies. In general the old name must be completely (and I mean completely) removed from the boat and a proper de-naming ceremony is held just to ensure the gods are happy.

Then, once the old name has been removed and Neptune has wiped the name from his books you can hold a naming ceremony. This usually involves paying proper homage to the 4 winds gods and Neptune again and in my last case an additional homage to Zeus since my boat had been struck by lightning (no sense in ignoring any god). Once the new name is accepted by Neptune you can feel a sense of calm arrive and know that you at least won't have issues with the gods of wind or sea.

We have found that these naming ceremonies are a fun time on the dock and a great way to to welcome a "new" boat to our club. They generally involve a fair amount of libations for the gods, crew and guests and a good way to introduce the new boat to everyone.

Have fun with it and know that by appeasing the gods there is less chance of having a bad day on the water.

Victor

JackK

Aug 27, 2013
Oday 272LE Red Bank
By all means! Rename the boat if you want. Of course, you need to do the proper de-naming/re-naming ceremony to appease the Sea Gods.There are a few ceremonies out on the web. Here is the one we used. And it involves a lot of champagne [Bonus]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Boat De-Naming Ceremony[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name XXXXXXXX which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The remainder may be passed among your guests.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-2-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Boat Renaming Ceremony[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as XXXXXXXXXX, guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel XXXXXXXXX the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs. (Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone :) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-3-[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning :) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Oct 12, 2014
This is great! I guess I never thought of a "de-naming" party. Any excuse for a party, right? I will simply go ahead and name her the same name as my other boat. I will, of course, appease the Gods properly.
I do know that I renamed my first boat, without pause or ceremony and had horrible "luck". I'm sure it had nothing to do with my extreme inexperience. 2 years later, I unstepped the mast. I put a coin under the mast and said a few somber words. Sure enough, my "luck" was much better. I doubt it had anything to do with 2 year's worth of experience under my belt.
Also, for anyone else considering a name change, WD40 and a plastic scraper makes an easy job of removing vinyl lettering.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've used the name "Delta-G" on two of my boats....

If you are not familiar with thermodynamic terms... the symbol "G" is used to indicate a physical variable known as "Gibb's Free Energy" and the symbol "delta" means "to change".

So the name literally means "A change in Free Energy"

I also designed the following logos for my boats (see attached).

;)

Attachments

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
DO NOT DO THIS? If it was a brand new boat you would be fine. The only acceptable practice for changing an older boat name involves sailing backwards across the equator and sacrificing a bottle of rum to Neptune while chanting all kinds of incantations. The sailing backwards across the equator is not the problem, wasting a bottle of rum would be a real travesty.

Oct 12, 2014
I've used the name "Delta-G" on two of my boats....

If you are not familiar with thermodynamic terms... the symbol "G" is used to indicate a physical variable known as "Gibb's Free Energy" and the symbol "delta" means "to change".

So the name literally means "A change in Free Energy"

I also designed the following logos for my boats (see attached).

;)
What a great name! I love it

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Now don't get mis-entropic on us, Kermit. [rimshot] :D
Jeepers! I looked up entropic. It's so complicated, I can't copy and paste the definition. Mis-entropic wouldn't even show as a word!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Jeepers! I looked up entropic. It's so complicated, I can't copy and paste the definition. Mis-entropic wouldn't even show as a word!
Yah, it's called "word salad", one of the first signs of schizophrenia.

Entropic/anthropic. It's no fun having to explain my jokes. :D

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I guess if I had listened in some of my science classed maybe all of this would make more sense. No need to explain anything. I would get it anyway.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I guess if I had listened in some of my science classed maybe all of this would make more sense. No need to explain anything. I would get it anyway.
One doesn't learn much about Gibbs free energy until upper-division college enrolled in what is now called a STEM major (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics); principally, biochemistry. So, you didn't miss it by nodding out during HS chem class lectures!