Can you identify this?

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
yep... it runs on shore power. I personally would scrap it and plumb around it.

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
yep... it runs on shore power. I personally would scrap it and plumb around it.
Any idea how much power they use? I like the idea of using the engine or shore power. But at the same time I could just get a on demand water heater. They dont cost alot

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A small electric on-demand water heater might work when you are connected to shore power, however, they use a lot of energy and your batteries probably would not be up to the task.

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
A small electric on-demand water heater might work when you are connected to shore power, however, they use a lot of energy and your batteries probably would not be up to the task.
I was think propane

Aug 10, 2020
Any idea how much power they use? I like the idea of using the engine or shore power. But at the same time I could just get a on demand water heater. They dont cost alot
as far as how many amps they pull? not sure, are there any labels on it?

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
Idk yet. It is a pic from the owner. But seeing as it isnt hooked up I may just replace it idk. I'd rather not as that would add more cost.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I was think propane
Propane presents a lot of issues. It would need to be properly vented, if you don't have a propane locker already installed you would need to have one installed, then there is the solenoid and gas detector that would need to be installed.

The least expensive option is to go without hot water. The next least expensive is to go with a marine HW heater that uses only electricity. The most expensive option is a marine propane on-demad heater that is properly installed.

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
Propane presents a lot of issues. It would need to be properly vented, if you don't have a propane locker already installed you would need to have one installed, then there is the solenoid and gas detector that would need to be installed.

The least expensive option is to go without hot water. The next least expensive is to go with a marine HW heater that uses only electricity. The most expensive option is a marine propane on-demad heater that is properly installed.
Then if its toast I'll probably look at a all electric unit and use that. So I hope it is salvageable

Aug 10, 2020
Idk yet. It is a pic from the owner. But seeing as it isnt hooked up I may just replace it idk. I'd rather not as that would add more cost.
my guess would be in the neighborhood of 10amps 110v AC. it's probably on a 15amp breaker

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
hey i love the look of that old heater ! looks like old fashioned stainless. are you sure it's not intended to heat water by hooking up to engine and heating h 2 0 in tank from residual heat from engine coolant circulating thru the h w tank ? i was paying $700 for isotemp hw tanks heatable from engine cooling system and shorepower last time i replced my hwhtr. this would be a great project for a DIY. don't throw it away, put it on the sailboat owners gear forum !

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
hey i love the look of that old heater ! looks like old fashioned stainless. are you sure it's not intended to heat water by hooking up to engine and heating h 2 0 in tank from residual heat from engine coolant circulating thru the h w tank ? i was paying $700 for isotemp hw tanks heatable from engine cooling system and shorepower last time i replced my hwhtr. this would be a great project for a DIY. don't throw it away, put it on the sailboat owners gear forum !
I believe it is. If so I'd much rather fix and reinstall

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Don't underestimate the engine cooling system heating the water in the hot water heater. Mine used to stay hot for hours after running the engine. In practical terms this meant having hot water for a shower after arrival at a destination with a relatively short motor. And even hot water for doing the dishes. Whether the electric component of the system worked or not wasn't really a concern or cruise buster.

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
Don't underestimate the engine cooling system heating the water in the hot water heater. Mine used to stay hot for hours after running the engine. In practical terms this meant having hot water for a shower after arrival at a destination with a relatively short motor. And even hot water for doing the dishes. Whether the electric component of the system worked or not wasn't really a concern or cruise buster.
I hope so lol

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is a water heater to be used either from 110-120V shore power or from the engine heat exchanger to heat the water.

Jan11

Apr 9, 2012
Ericson 35 Albany
OK, what is it that I don't understand? I look at the picture in the original post and all I see is the front panel from a water heater. I don't see a water heater.

Am I looking at the emperor's new clothes?