Can you identify this?

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
As others have implied, with a heat exchanging water heater, if you have any other reasons to run your engine daily anyway, even for less than an hour, then you will almost always have enough hot water without resorting to the electric heating element. Especially with stopping the shower water while you lather.
Ty everyone. My intent is to repaire and use it

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
We have ALL overlooked that you can get 12 volt elements to change out the OEM 110s.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
We have ALL overlooked that you can get 12 volt elements to change out the OEM 110s.
Yes, but at only around 300 watts vs. 1200-1500 watts at 120v. You’d need to draw 100 amps or more at 12v for the same power.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Of course, but where in the line-up does one put this when outfitting? Many, if not most, liveaboard are at a marina either in a slip or on a mooring with access to shore-based showers, etc. And that is what they use. I think they use hot water for dish washing, which can be made pouring two cups of boiling water into the sink w/ some water already in it, etc. But for you, it might be a different situation. Folks living aboard at sea may also see it differently; but it is not a necessity for safe cruising whereas some other equipment might well be. I once asked a friend who is a sailmaker if I might need a riding sail out at the Channel Islands. His reply was "Do you have everything else you might need?" In other words--perhaps, if you have extra money (boat bucks) to throw away. Someone looking at "budget refit" by definition does not have extra money to throw away.
Just out of curiosity, would you not have hot water in your home?
I never said necessary, but for living in my home on the water, hot water sure makes things much more pleasant. I'd certainly put it before AIS, or forward looking sonar. Or even a big expenditure on paper charts. As for marina showers, not my cup of tea. Most are humid, mosquito infested and not as clean as my shower. In any warm place, after a nice long shower, you're sopping wet from sweat, before you get back to the boat. When I was single I found my girl friends much preferred showering on the boat. Enough so that many wouldn't spend the night.
Hot water =civilized.

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
I never said necessary, but for living in my home on the water, hot water sure makes things much more pleasant. I'd certainly put it before AIS, or forward looking sonar. Or even a big expenditure on paper charts. As for marina showers, not my cup of tea. Most are humid, mosquito infested and not as clean as my shower. In any warm place, after a nice long shower, you're sopping wet from sweat, before you get back to the boat. When I was single I found my girl friends much preferred showering on the boat. Enough so that many wouldn't spend the night.
Hot water =civilized.
I agree. After safety and seaworthy item are seen to I will start on the comforts.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I do not see any advantage to this. 1100 watts of 120vac is quite a draw on your 12 volt batteries, even on 12 volts dc, especially considering most water heaters can be warmed from the main engine.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I never said necessary, but for living in my home on the water, hot water sure makes things much more pleasant. I'd certainly put it before AIS, or forward looking sonar. Or even a big expenditure on paper charts. As for marina showers, not my cup of tea. Most are humid, mosquito infested and not as clean as my shower. In any warm place, after a nice long shower, you're sopping wet from sweat, before you get back to the boat.
You mean running hot water from a HW tank? Of course. I have many things at home not on the boat when we’re away from the dock. Such as A/C power, I not having a generator. We must remember the context here. “Priority” outfitting for sea an old boat, 40 yr, on a budget. The Bavaria, and my Pearson 30 before it, have/had hot water. Kind of unusual in the case of the Pearson. One pair of cruising friends owned a Ranger 33 w/o HW that they visited frequently for overnight stays away from the residence town in harbor plus at the islands. Hanked-on headsails. No fancy electronics, no radar, no windlass. They were a bit desirous of HW, but not enough so to install the tank and tubing, etc. Yet, the boat was well outfitted with gear and other creature-comforts. The OP’s target boat has at least a place for the HWT, so why not? Because, as I said, you don’t need no HWT to ready for sea. Spend money first on what you do need. At some point I think one will start questioning the need for one ever if it competes with a different upgrade, etc. But you must spend time on the boat away from shore to sort those things out. In the meantime, you must rely on the wisdom of experience talking to you.;)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
You mean running hot water from a HW tank? Of course. I have many things at home not on the boat when we’re away from the dock. Such as A/C power, I not having a generator. We must remember the context here. “Priority” outfitting for sea an old boat, 40 yr, on a budget. The Bavaria, and my Pearson 30 before it, have/had hot water. Kind of unusual in the case of the Pearson. One pair of cruising friends owned a Ranger 33 w/o HW that they visited frequently for overnight stays away from the residence town on harbor plus to the islands. Hanked-on headsails. No fancy electronics, no radar, no windlass. They were a bit desirous of HW, but not enough so to install the tank and tubing, etc. Yet, the boat was well outfitted with gear and other creature-comforts. The OP’s target boat has at least a place for the HWT, so why not? Because, as I said, you don’t need no HWT to ready for sea. Spend money first on what you do need. At some point I think one will start questioning the need for one if it competes with another upgrade, etc.
Needs...atleast for me: chartplotter, depth finder, solar or wind to charge batteries without the motor. Radar. Communication. Sailing ability, motoring ability if not able to sail. Cooking ability. Warm and dry to sleep. And ofcourse standard safety equipment

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Does it also run off of engine coolant? My boiler does and shore power 1200 watts. Too much for an inverter and batteries.