Can rails be extended around stern? (H23)

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
I re-sealed my uprights. It is pretty easy to get to the washers and nuts. Looks thinner than it actually is. But being a diesel mechanic by trade I'm use to that. Just a screw would be insufficient.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I agree you need bolts with backing plates or nuts. Getting under the deck to the starboard side next to the cockpit is problematic - you have to lay down in the lazarette area and sort of curve around. But it is possible; definitely a 2 person job. You do have some access to the stern via the access port under the gas tank area cover.

Nov 11, 2017
Hunter 23 Alum Creek Sailing Assn
P100... thanks so much; this is so close to precisely what I've envisioned.
And CrazyDave; you're spot on with the backing plate/washers being essential for this.
NOW to research a good fabricator for the offseason in my area.
THANKS to ALL :clap:

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Made these for my 23.5.Got everything from wholesale marine,practiced on 3/4 conduit.mainly hated where life line attached at stern,bad trip point.find good electrician he can bend it.One tip put pool sand in pipe eliminates kinks

Attachments

Nov 11, 2017
Nice job DJN51. I knew this could be done, and envisioned it in a cupl configurations.
How is lateral support on yours, seeing that there's just 2 stanchions, and fairly inline front/rear?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you can get triangulated corners in the back, then you can run a lifeline on a hook across the transom between the corners. Very secure, and easy to open for swimming. And the grill can still mount.

open trans.jpg

Nov 11, 2017
Yes, i can see how that triangulation would be fairly stout :waycool:
As an aside; what's with dual rudders? What model is this? (Yeah, she's cute)!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yes, i can see how that triangulation would be fairly stout :waycool:
As an aside; what's with dual rudders? What model is this? (Yeah, she's cute)!
The triangulation allows the pulpits to withstand a full load against the rear lifeline without collapsing. If you just have a two-posted pulpit, it will pull them in and collapse.

The dual rudders allow for a wide transomed boat (The First 260 is 9 feet across the back) to heel and keep a blade in the water. Indeed at a big angle, the outward canted leeward rudder is standing straight up and down in the water and has a great bite. We never wipe out!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
The triangulation allows the pulpits to withstand a full load against the rear lifeline without collapsing. If you just have a two-posted pulpit, it will pull them in and collapse.
So something like this with corner posts would be stabler
H23 stern rail revised 3..jpg

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
actually added another stanchion 6 in in front of cleat makes it a lot stronger.as my Lifering mounts there Advice put all fittings on pipe before bending or never get them on after!!!

Nov 11, 2017
Exactly right! Added stanchions added as per your photo would not inhibit any access I could fathom.

Again gentlemen; my thanks to all.