Can Inboard Engine be quieted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barbara Durel

Just purchased a '91 Catalina 28. Thought an inboard would be nicer than an outboard but it is SO loud when motoring. Has anyone made alterations to the fiberglass engine cover or found an effective & safe way to quiet the engine noise? Thank you for your time.

K

Kathleen

Insulation kit

We've also just purchased a 91 C28. Check the forum archives for some good info on this subject. We purchased an engine insulation kit from West Marine and insulated the engine cover. With some creative cutting & pasting, one kit was enough. We used the 1/2 inch insulation. It has made a difference, however we still need to put some padding around the edges where the cover comes in contact with surfaces inside the boat, to cut down on the vibration. Good luck with the new boat!

J

Joe Barrett

First Job on my new boat

After spending time below in my last boat the first task on my new Catalina 320 I had to achieve before my wife would go on a trip with me was to insulate the engine. I bought the 1" foam kits from Defender. I needed two kits and had a marine machanic neatly install it for me. Two kits @ $99 and 3 hours labor. Total for the job was $350. Reduced noise level by 50%! Great investment.

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners.com

Love my outboard!

I'm telling ya, a good outboard with cockpit controls. That's the way to go! ;-) Good luck with the soundproofing! LaDonna

P

Phil Decker

Try Vetus Waterlock and/or Muffler

I had a Vetus waterlock installed in my Catalina 27 Atomic 4, and it made a big difference. A side benefit is that your enginer will not get hydrolocked if you crank too much without starting the engine. You can also intall an actual muffler behind the waterlock. See the link below. Phil Decker S/V "Catmandu" 1982 C27 TR A4

G

George B.

Engine Noise

Our C28 was equipped with the MX25 engine and there was plenty of room to add foam insulation. There are only a couple of areas where the clearances are tight. We used screws and washers along with the spray adhesive to do the insulation. Just make sure that air can circulate around the engine completely and insulation doesn't touch it. Another source of noise is sympathetic vibrations in the cabin due to worn or loose engine mounts. The three cylinder MX25 puts out a fair amount of vibration. Tighten/replace those mounts the next time you do a shaft alignment. The C34 Fleet One hosts the "All Catalina Rendezvous" at Angel Island each September. Hope you guys can come out and join us.

M

Mike

If you are handy

I just bought a c320, no insulation, and it makes a fair amount of noise. anything louder than the wind is too much for me! So i plan to install insulation my slef. I've scoped things out, and I bought some 2" roll insulation from the local building center. This is fiberglass with an alum foil side (you don't need it but you get it as a package). I'm going to install it myself - some neat cutting, a little heavyduty spray adhesive, tape as required, and I will be good to go. Also going to check for cover vibration and install weather striping as required. Insulation ~$10, spary adhesive ~$5, razor knife ~$2, doing a job yourself, priceless. If you aren't handy, I recomend that you find someone to do it for you! you'll make a mess, be fustrated, and the noise reduction will be less than ideal. The other tips in this discussion are good too - don't cover the engine block or get to close to moving parts. Good luck!

J

Joe Barrett

2" Insulation

Mike, I'm not sure that 2" insulation will work in the C320. I used 1" insulation and at the front of the cover it rubs against the flywell. You might check on clearance issues! Also join the C320 owners email board at http://members.sailnet.com/email_lists/index.cfm The actual email address to send posts is C320-list@sailnet.net

G

Gary

tight on the 320

Joe, I'm curious. You put the insulation on the front cover by the flywheel? I didn't think it would fit there as it is very tight. Looks OK everywhere else tough. Did you do anything fancy where the cover meets the bulkhead. It seems that is where most of the noise is coming from. Gary

G

George B.

Fiberglass Insulation

I had a bad experience with fiberglass insulation and would caution against it's use in the engine compartment. First off, it is heat, not noise insulation and the lead foil/de-coupler layer type insulation sold in marine stores is more appropriate. Fiberglass insulation is not fire proof, and you guessed it, it caught fire on a C30 we chartered a few years back. The good news is that it is slow burning and you can put it out with a fire extinguisher. The bad news is it puts out an incredible amount of acrid smoke.

R

RonD

Sound vs heat

George is correct about fiberglass. The foil facing unprotected by 5/8" thick sheetrock (or equivalent) wallboard is a building fire code violation. Certainly not recommended for a boat! The following is from an email I received from a representative of Soundown Corp., manufacturer of sound suppression materials (see web link, below). It refers to the kits sold by Defender as "Noise Reduction Enterprises, model FBK-1A": ............. "The materials sold buy Defender is our material. Soundown manufactures the material for Noise Reduction. I work for Both companies. Noise Reduction deals mostly with kits and is limited on materials sold. You have more options with Soundown materials IE thick nesses and mass barrier density. "Noise reduction and Soundown are in the same building in Marblehead. "If 1" material is the most you can fit I would recommend to go with a 2-pound sq/ft mass barrier. This would give you a good amount of noise attenuation. "The basic rule is the thicker the better." ............ That said, they also sell a kit with 1/2" material (model OBK-1A). Their spec sheets show a dual layer construction with a sound absorbsion and sound reflection layer separated by a thin decoupler. On the engine side, it has a facing material for protection. --Ron

R

RonD

Joe -- Write up an Article!

Joe If you successfully accomplished this noise reduction project, consider writing an article with photos for "Mainsheet," or for posting on the C320 Intl Assn website, or both. This is a sef-help project all of us C320 (and other) boatowners would appreciate! --Ron

M

Mark Taylor

Kathleen, any reason why not 1"....

I have the same noise thing with my C28 (also have the M3-20). Local sources have only 1" insulation, and I'm afraid it may get a bit too close to the engine. Did that cause you to choose 1/2"? And have you done just the cover, or the bulkheads as well?

D

Dave Slepoy

1991 C28 noise

I bought a 1991 C28 last year number 136 and it also is noisy!!! our friends have a 28 that is @ 20 boats newer and it is QUIET, I could not believe the difference. This coming summer I am going to look at the engine mounts and the shaft alignmant and the connection from the engine to the exhaust although there is NO exhaust smell I still want to inspec it. If all this fails then I will get the kits from WEST and insulate it. Let me know how you do.. Dave KDSSAIL@HOTMAIL.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.