Can I vent?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Will that new vent installation hold up to 120 mph winds for 16 hours? With a 50% safety factor that will be 180 mph winds. It will probably be mistaken for a UFO when it takes off spinning that fast. But seriously I gave up using a masthead wind instrument for that reason. You either climb the mast for each storm to remove it then climb it again to replace it, or leaving it in place it is spinning so fast the jewel bearings burn out and it just flops around.
What an idea a break for the wind transducer maybe a rod with kite string when pulled to mast it's free spin pull string to bow and it blocks cup stopping spin in storm

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...You either climb the mast for each storm to remove it then climb it again to replace it, or leaving it in place it is spinning so fast the jewel bearings burn out and it just flops around.
I have often thought about using a "pig stick" to jamb the wind cups from spinning all winter during layup.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have often thought about using a "pig stick" to jamb the wind cups from spinning all winter during layup.
Use a big garbage bag or 2 to cover the turbine. Tie off at base with wire wrap you can get at a garden center.
Works for all winter storage.
Jim...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Use a big garbage bag or 2 to cover the turbine. Tie off at base with wire wrap you can get at a garden center.
Works for all winter storage.
Jim...
Except you don’t have to go up the mast with a pig stick

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
View attachment 165191

Didn’t have time to paint the plywood, should be good for a couple months.
This idea didn’t work as well as I hoped for during the time the boat was on the hard. The plywood curled and bugs were able to get in through the vent. Water from bigger storms was also able to get in but only in amounts that was held by the container we had below the vent. If this was over a screened, dorade box it may have proven more success.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I have fit solar vents into my dorade boxes successfully. They work good. One side blows in the other out for a good cross flow. Only trouble is the solar vent batteries die so they don't work at night any more. Good for a year or so, but very expensive to have to keep replacing them annually or so.
How do they work as outgoing unit on a dorade box? Do you seal the drain holes at the base of the dorade boxes?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
How do they work as outgoing unit on a dorade box? Do you seal the drain holes at the base of the dorade boxes?
The drain holes are a lot smaller than the hole that flows air into or out of the cabin. Yes there is a loss of some efficiency but a quick calculation of areas will likely show the majority of the air is coming from the boat.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I installed one of those on my house 36 years ago. I spread plastic sheeting in the attic underneath it because I wasn't sure if it would leak.

Repeated checks after storms showed no water leakage. And after 36 years there is no noise either inside or outside my house.

I will admit I am amazed that the bearings seem to be going strong. This vent rotates 24/7/365.

Of course, YMMV.

Last edited: