can anybody tell me if the Pearson 37 is..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2012
Pearson 37 River Weaver at Acton Bridge
can anybody tell me if the Pearson 37 is a blu water boat?

I am very much a newbie when it comes to yachts, I have been a sailor for many year, love sailing, love being on the water.

I am looking to buy a boat as first liveaboard boat, and the pearson 37 looks to be a fantastic little boat.

They do however appear to be quite rare and so far i have only seen them for sale in the US and so that brings the question...

Are they built strongly enough to be safely sailed from the US back to UK?

This one is looking like a favourite...
This looks like a cracking little boat

Does anybody have any experience of this boat as a liveaboard?
Also are they well built? I mean they are over 30years old now...
or at least the ones on nearby (timeframe) price range are.
But so am I... and I'm in great shape lol :laugher

I really like the island double but it is difficult to see exactly how much room there really is in that forward cabin from any of the pictures I have been able to find online.

Also whats the headroom like in the cabin and through the rest of the boat?

I am looking for a first boat as a river liveaboard, coastal cruiser and maybe blue water (eventually) if this boat is built strongly enough for that kind of sailing (opinions on this too please).

Apr 18, 2012
Won't hurt my feelings, I openly admit to being a complete newbie to this type of sailing, as such I am on a steep learning curve to try to understand what the differences are.

I feel very much still a novice I am only just learning about all of this stuff.
Thank you for the link.

Apr 18, 2012
Hi denise, ok I am beginning to understand what you mean.

when I asked my original question regarding strength of construction I thinking about the overall integral structure of the boat and in the heady zeal of my newbiness hadn't even though about the different keel/rudder designs. I had 'assumed' it would be strong enough for the size of the boat as a matter of course.

Hmmm... back to the classifieds...!
I think the pearson 37 would be perfect for a first livaboard and some coastal cruising but evidently not built to cross the atlantic and it 'appears' that they were never brought to the UK. Shame.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Fin keel/spade rudder boats have been crossing oceans for a long time. In and of itself, that combination is actually more well-suited to offshore sailing than coastal cruising for several reasons. The more obvious one is there is nothing to hit offshore except storms and the underwater configuration means little in that event.

Usually, someone asking for a good offshore boat doesn't have the experience to either know or take it there. The single most important characteristic of an offshore boat is the experience of the skipper. With that and good weather, anything will do.

Apr 18, 2012
Fin keel/spade rudder boats have been crossing oceans for a long time. In and of itself, that combination is actually more well-suited to offshore sailing than coastal cruising for several reasons. The more obvious one is there is nothing to hit offshore except storms and the underwater configuration means little in that event.

Usually, someone asking for a good offshore boat doesn't have the experience to either know or take it there. The single most important characteristic of an offshore boat is the experience of the skipper. With that and good weather, anything will do.
Hi Don,

So far I have only been able to find the Pearson 37 available for sale in the US.
I want a boat primarily as a liveaboard (on a river) during the summer months with a few coastal trips out as my skills, competence and confidence grow. and possible sail down to the med (marina hoping) when I am ready to do so.

I have been sailing since I was 15 but always smaller craft, my last boat was a 27ft Soling.
But the kind of yachts that I am looking at is uncharted territory for me hence why I am looking for advice.

The reason I ask if a Pearson 37 is blue water capable/safe is that if they are only available in the US then that would mean buying in the US (which represents a significant saving) and sailing back to the UK, I would pay for a professional skipper to help bring her home to the UK safely.

And once back I intend on getting myself through a 'dayskipper' qualification and the 'Yacht-masters' after that before even thinking about sailing down to the med.

Apr 18, 2012
Stu, thank you so very much for your posts, there is some great information there indeed.
Thank you.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You're very welcome. I read www.ybw.com pretty often, too, Reader's Forum, haven't gotten to Scuttlebutt yet.:):):)

Happy Hunting.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
David, I purchased my Pearson 37 (hull 36 of 43) in 2008 in FL and brought her to Maryland. I went offshore for the trip (no ICW because of time constraints). Marguerite took everything Cape Haterras had to offer with nary a complaint. As you state, it's a cracking little boat!

There is plenty of headroom throughout (I'm not that tall at 5' 9"). I find the boat to be well-built and have done circumnavigation of the Delaware-Maryland-Virginia (DELMARVA) peninsula for the past two summers. The cabin is quite roomy and I think you'd find it suitable as a live aboard.

The solid-rod rigging is great. Marguerite had not been properly maintained and since 2008, she's gotten new headstay & backstay, pair of 130W solar panels, proper water tanks (vice bladders), and proper holding tank (vice bladder), amongst other things.

I'm partial to my boat, but I think you'd find the Pearson 37 to be awesome as a river liveaboard, coastal cruiser and blue water boat. Should you decide to purchase, make sure you get a proper survey. PM me if you'd like more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.