Campbell prop sailing performance; IOW Drag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
I got tired of the vibration and lack of reverse in our existing prop so I've ordered a Campbell Sailor prop for our 1996 model 280 (2GM20F). I've had a 2-blade folder since we got the boat so I have no experience with a fixed prop and would like feedback on sailing performance from those who have done something kinda similar.

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Not sure what the ? is. A fixed will be slower sailing. Period. How much Reports over the 12 years I've been active have been as much as 1/2 kt., but usually in light winds. We have a fixed 3 blade and I wouldn't trade it in for anything with moving parts underwater. KISS. Ours works well for us.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
I guess the "Drag?" was meant to ask about the drag the Campbell induced under sail as opposed to the motoring or reverse or propwalk or vibration. I've read Maine Sail's excellent articles and tests and comments from others that were posted about the prop. Just trying to get a feel for and place the sailing performance into a "OMG, this is a pig" to "eh, maybe a little noticed" to "I can't generally tell the diff since I don't race" type of impressions.

Thanks Stu.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The latter. And back when I raced I got a handicap for it, so it worked out just fine.

Oct 6, 2007
Catalina 387 Panama City, FL
Check the archives, Maine Sail did a detailed test of the Campbell Sailor prop.
It will be my next prop.

Bill

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I believe the tests show a Campbell Sailor 3-blade has about the same drag as a "standard" (Michigan Wheel?) 2-blade. I have one, got the "3-blade handicap", do really well ;)

I'm pretty sure unless you're racing you won't notice any difference.

druid

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Thank guys; you're making me feel a little better about what to expect. Our lady is not a Benny 10R or J 90 but I surely don't want to turn her into a dog :)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Clark:

I think you will find that the Campbell 3 blade provides much less drag than a traditional 3 blade and it may even be less than a regular 2 blade. MaineSail showed the Campbell prop overlayed on a traditional 3 blade. You will find that there is a LOT more meat on the blades. I think you will be impressed with the thrust in forward. Just be prepared when you are backing or trying to stop quickly. It is just going to take substancially more RPM's than a regular two or three blade.

As someone else pointed out, this will also be my next prop.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Clark:

I think you will find that the Campbell 3 blade provides much less drag than a traditional 3 blade and it may even be less than a regular 2 blade. MaineSail showed the Campbell prop overlayed on a traditional 3 blade. You will find that there is a LOT more meat on the blades. I think you will be impressed with the thrust in forward. Just be prepared when you are backing or trying to stop quickly. It is just going to take substancially more RPM's than a regular two or three blade.

As someone else pointed out, this will also be my next prop.
I hope to get mine this week and install the next. Will certainly provide my humble impressions of how it does. As for reverse; it's gotta be better than what I have now.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I got from stock 2 blade 15Dx10P to Campbell Sailer 3blade 14Dx7P. Smoother sailing, smoother driving. Less prop-walk (sometime good, sometime not so good). My engine 2GM20F. With CS prop I notice my stern squat more than the stock prop when powering fast. No regret. :dance:
Now my H33 friend is thinking of changing out his stock 3 blade to CS prop.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
A reading of Dave Gerr's "The Propellor Book" will quickly make you realize that not all propellors are created equal. There are many ways to configure a three blade 13X10 right hand bronze propellor. Blade profiles, both cross section and face, blade area ratio, cupping, and leading and trailing edge shapes.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Clark:
I think you will be impressed with the thrust in forward.
CS calls this a feature ("More thrust than other props!") but basically it boils down to incorrect sizing. In Theory, a 10p blade moves 10 inches through the water per rev if there is no slip. If the CS 10p moves 11 or 12 inches, that's not a feature, that's incorrect sizing. BUT, they point out in practice the pitching is determined by blade angle.

Anyway, the Bottom Line is that you need about 2 inches LESS pitch with a CS than with other props (or from prop calcs). So if your prop calc says get a 14x10p, get a 14x8p. Trust me.

But I DO love my CSs!

druid

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Norm spec'd a 14x8 for our 2GM20F so we'll see. Seems odd that it is pitched 1" more than Ken's 326 (same engine - probably same tranny) but I guess I could take him in a 1/4 mile :p

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Norm spec'd a 14x8 for our 2GM20F so we'll see. Seems odd that it is pitched 1" more than Ken's 326 (same engine - probably same tranny) but I guess I could take him in a 1/4 mile :p
I have the same engine in my Crown 28, but a weird tranny (2.36:1). I started with a 14x8 but that was too steep - I went down to a 13x7.5 and it's perfect. BTW: I have the nearly-new 14x8 for sale - interested?

druid

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Dang druid; a week too late. It is supposed to be delivered W-Th of this week. Sorry - for both of us.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Clark, originally, Norm gave me a 14Dx8P. Very good trust. I even towed an Ericson 28 at good clip. However max rpm I could get was 2850 so sent it back for re-pitching. Norm re-cal and suggest 14Dx7P. However, he had a change of mind and sent me a 14Dx6P instead. Used it for a year. Max rpm is 3650. So had it re-pitch to 14Dx7P. Feels good but max out at 3300rpm. So which is better? 7P or 6P ? I don't know. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.