Calling all ODay 28, 30, 31 club racers or sail trim fanactics

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Gentlemen,
"I have the need, the need for speed" (Top Gun quote).
I have a ODay 28. I suck sailing down wind, and down wind sailing is the ODay 28, 30, 31's weakest point of sail (largest head sail, small main). Has anyone found a set up, or trim combination that works best for this point of sail. I do well up wind, do well on a broad reach, but lose position going down wind. Frustrating. I'll name the set up after you, on my boat you will be immortalized as the "(your name goes here) point of sail". NOTE: mail sail is lose footed.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This will be your fastest set up in light to medium airs. Pole your Genoa out, and sail slightly by the Lee, so the headsail telltales on the genoa flow backwards. Open your mainsail outhaul far as you can and set the boom perpendicular to the wind. Drive carefully to manage the amount of lee.

8E887D14-7FBE-4620-A432-1D03033A74D3.jpeg

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
This will be your fastest set up in light to medium airs. Pole your Genoa out, and sail slightly by the Lee, so the headsail telltales on the genoa flow backwards. Open your mainsail outhaul far as you can and set the boom perpendicular to the wind. Drive carefully to manage the amount of lee.

View attachment 165825
Your picture matches what I was taught to be fastest, but is it really "by the lee"? The main is to starboard, with the wind from the port quarter. I thought "by the lee" would be the wind off the starboard quarter with the main still to starboard.

Incidentally, I've found that at least with my rig going by the lee seems to be less stable than just DDW. Once I get more than 3 degrees by the lee or so it seems like the jib starts to get interference from the main and begins to collapse. It probably differs based on things like jib sheet angles and sail sizes, but for me DDW to about 170 degrees of wind angle (not by the lee) seems best, just as you drew it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Your picture matches what I was taught to be fastest, but is it really "by the lee"? The main is to starboard, with the wind from the port quarter. I thought "by the lee" would be the wind off the starboard quarter with the main still to starboard.

Incidentally, I've found that at least with my rig going by the lee seems to be less stable than just DDW. Once I get more than 3 degrees by the lee or so it seems like the jib starts to get interference from the main and begins to collapse. It probably differs based on things like jib sheet angles and sail sizes, but for me DDW to about 170 degrees of wind angle (not by the lee) seems best, just as you drew it.
I posted the wrong drawing! Backwards! I’m at a party right now, will sort out tomorrow. Or someone else can. :)

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
jibes138, I do have a pole

jackdaw, your drawing is exactly what I try to achieve and like best, but now that I think about it, were I'm coming up short is the ultimate importance of the use of the pole. Especially in light winds. I've tried to fly the genoa "free", and being a ODay 28 with sail plan that has a bigger than normal headsail, then having a big heavy 150 genoa of traditional Dacron w/sunbrella UV protection cover, I might be trying to get water to flow uphill. Especially without that pole.

daveasailor26 I agree 170 degrees is the perfect target and has always seemed to be where I've had the best luck.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to get reacquainted with my pole.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The 150 might be too big for your pole to get the clew far enough outboard. You might want to furl it a little if you have roller furling. The pole is essential as the apparent wind is reduced downwind so with a heavy sail it takes more breeze to keep an unpoled jib full. Without a pole your fastest downwind method it to tack downwind.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’m at a party right now,
You are at a "party" and posting on SBO... That is either true dedication to this forum or the party is boring... Either way enjoy your contribution.

It is a challenge but not impossible to get boats to sail well as possible on all points of sail. Understanding that the goal is to get round the course as fast as your boat can. One clue to this puzzle is what Clay has shared in the past. Polars for your boat.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Jackdaw hit it right. My 272 does really well in club racing, usually 1st or 2nd in class. So much so they changed my PHRF rating from 220 to 190. I found that when I added my asym spinnaker it really boosted the downwind performance. I have to use the pole if I am in non-spin class in order to get it right. But I have that darn wing keel and has a lot of disadvantages.

Nov 5, 2010
Oday 23 Stonington, CT
Gentlemen,
"I have the need, the need for speed" (Top Gun quote).
I have a ODay 28. I suck sailing down wind, and down wind sailing is the ODay 28, 30, 31's weakest point of sail (largest head sail, small main). Has anyone found a set up, or trim combination that works best for this point of sail. I do well up wind, do well on a broad reach, but lose position going down wind. Frustrating. I'll name the set up after you, on my boat you will be immortalized as the "(your name goes here) point of sail". NOTE: mail sail is lose footed.