Calling all Catalina 275 owners

Apr 18, 2020
J-boat J/105 Fort Walton Beach
I had the same question John - glad you are asked and thanks for the answer Codybear. Hull#24 is being repainted (Vivid Black Widow hard bottom paint), added folding prop from Flexifold. Hoping to get out next weekend.

Attachments

Froudy

Apr 18, 2020
Catalina 275 Sag Harbor
Trip was great! Arrived in RI on the Saturday and it was pouring with rain and very windy. Sunny day Sunday so I rigged and generally sorted the boat out. Slept on board both nights so I could adhere to the RI isolation rules. Lucky for me the marina bar was delivering food and cocktails. Set off Sunday at 05:30 and an easy run south. Things got a bit hairy once I got out into RI Sound, very big swells and full run so I learned the self tacking jib does not play well downwind. Once west of Block Island swell backed off, wind dropped and in came the fog. Ended up motoring the last five hours as I was only making a couple of Knots. Safe on the mooring in Sag Harbor by 9pm.

The Boat performed impeccably and I look forward to playing with both the 110 and the Asym. Solo in open water was not the best place to play!!

Apr 18, 2020
Hello chaps,
I am registering for a Gulf Yachting Association PHRF certificate down here in the Florida Panhandle. Trying to find specs for the Doyle asymmetric chute (luff/leach/foot/girth) and the J# for the Doyle 113% jib. Just wondering if anyone else has those?
I can trade you for the C275 polars I received from Catalina... :)

Many thanks

Pete

Azure

Mar 5, 2017
Catalina 275 Sport 1 San Francisco
Hi Pete
I measured my chute myself for my Northern California handicap. I think it is fairly accurate. SLU: 37.5'. SLE: 35', ASMG: 22', ASF: 22'. I assume your chute is the same size.

Apr 18, 2020
Hi Pete
I measured my chute myself for my Northern California handicap. I think it is fairly accurate. SLU: 37.5'. SLE: 35', ASMG: 22', ASF: 22'. I assume your chute is the same size.

Thank you!!!

Nov 27, 2019
C&C 30. MK1 715 Lake Norman
Pete,
I measured the factory supplied Doyle chute myself.
ALE-34.75,,, ALU-37.2,,,AF-21.2,,,AMG-20.6
I'd like to see those polars.

Apr 18, 2020
hey guys,
I have finally have Quantify (#24) in the water at Fort Walton Yacht Club, FL, after new paint and folding prop were fitted. Here's what to many of you is probably a dumb question: do I need to keep the battery plugged in to shore power or does the solar panel generate enough trickle charge to keep it topped off?

If I can avoid shore power connection (and it's speeding up of zinc deterioration) I would...

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2019
Pete,
So far my solar charger has been doing a great job. I did remove the original battery and replace it with a dual purpose one.

I have a question for you, what size flexofold did you install?
Also please tell us how the boat performs with the over lapping head sails.
Steve

Apr 18, 2020
Thanks Steve, good to know.

I had the yard install the 15x11 L prop, that's the one recommended for the yanmar/saildrive. Used it for the first time today motoring from boatyard to yacht club mooring. It seemed to work really well; I found the boat really easy to operate under power.

And yes will relay how the overlapping genoa works...! Probably a week or so before I've got everything sorted!

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
You'll be fine with the solar panel. I discussed my experience last year in the "Solar Panel" thread. I'm stepping onto the boat while there is sunlight with the batteries in the low to mid 13's. In my case, the installed 0.25 amp combiner will drag the batteries down to 13 when the sun goes down or I put the panel below. It's assumed the small 12W panel will not overcharge a single battery install, but if anyone's battery is repeatedly low on water, please post in the "Solar Panel" thread.

Froudy

Apr 18, 2020
Catalina 275 Sag Harbor
Just sharing a happy picture ..... first time with the Asym up on my new to me 275 ... I am going to be bad and leave it rigged and ready for afterwork sails. One question... I have a 110% genoa that came with the boat when it was new. Anyone know is that just replaces the regular self taking sail on the regular furler?

asym.jpeg

Nov 27, 2019
Great picture Froudy. I've yet to put mine up, but hopefully will soon.
Yes the 110% genoa attaches to the furler same as the self tracking jib. But the sheets for the 110 run through the cars on the cabin top and onto the winches.

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
I am going to be bad and leave it rigged and ready for afterwork sails.
I would really recommend not doing that. It's a light weight material that is not going to hold up to the UV and the weather, including the pollutants in the rain. They put a UV protector on the leach of your jib for a reason. Plus, it would be a complete disaster if it should unfurl in a storm. Even lowered to the deck in a bag, the tack would be exposed to UV and storms.

Yes, it adds time to rig and unrig, but if I'm short on time, I'll do both while my wife steers. And she usually steers while flying the asym, which is easier than handling the sheets. Additionally, I keep the asym on the deck when going upwind as it disturbs the air in front of the jib. This was demonstrated by the Kiwi's who were slow to the first mark back in San Francisco.

Froudy

Apr 18, 2020
Catalina 275 Sag Harbor
I hear you Codybear - I'm going to bring it in. I think I had made every rookie mistake a person could when rigging that sail.The sail was separate from the furling system. I got things looped through pulpits, got the genoa halyard wrapped in the spinnaker halyard. I messed up the furling lines...plus some more!

I would love to hear advice and tips on rigging and using the Asym!

going to finish the post with a happy sunset pic from Chipara
IMG_1243.jpeg

Froudy

Apr 18, 2020
Catalina 275 Sag Harbor
So another question for the forum. I noticed that when I have the asym rigged even if i back off the backstay tension the leach of the main sail at the very head still hits the backstay when tacking. anyone else notice that or am i doing something wrong? I does not seem to be an issue but I was just wondering.

Mar 11, 2014
So another question for the forum. I noticed that when I have the asym rigged even if i back off the backstay tension the leach of the main sail at the very head still hits the backstay when tacking. anyone else notice that or am i doing something wrong? I does not seem to be an issue but I was just wondering.
My Main always touches the back stay even when the back stay is full loose, unless I have it sheeted in. So when ever I jibe I pull it across by sheeting it tight, complete the Jibe and then unsheet the main. that at least prevents the batten from catching and stalling

Apr 18, 2020
Just received a 183 PHRF rating from Gulf Yachting Association. Given overlapping jib and folding prop I thought this was an OK rating.