cal 27 Mark III Anniversary Edition

Oct 18, 2019
Johnson 18 Weekender 4 corners marina
Sure. Glad to help.

The 1GM is a good little engine and overall quite reliable. A few pieces of advice specific to this engine:

The raw water pump on these is lousy and goes through seals. You'll know the seals are bad when you see water dripping from the bottom of the pump. What makes this failure especially insidious is that your engine probably has mild steel oil lines, one of which is right below this pump and can rust out as a result of the water dripping on it if you don't deal with the leak right away. (I say "probably" because at some point Yanmar switched to a different material less prone to corrosion for these lines.) You can have the seals replaced by a shop (such as Depco Pump) or learn to replace them yourself. (You'll find some YouTube videos on how to do that.)

Also, inspect the exhaust elbow as part of your seasonal maintenace. It can get plugged up. But another aspect of this design is that there is an inner tube that can rot and develop holes in it, and if that happens it will allow cooling water into the cylinder--no bueno. So pull that elbow periodically and give it a good inspection.
Working in this. Do you happen to have any pics of rub rail? PO changed it out to something unconventional and Id like to fix that. Plus I have a leak I thing is originating there so I must investigate. Any pics of the Companion way trim as well would be appreciated.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Working in this. Do you happen to have any pics of rub rail? PO changed it out to something unconventional and Id like to fix that. Plus I have a leak I thing is originating there so I must investigate. Any pics of the Companion way trim as well would be appreciated.
I don't, but just a suggestion: You might want to start separate threads for the various issues you are raising rather than asking all your questions in this one thread. You might have more success.

Oct 18, 2019
good idea but not exactly sure how to do that and I have plenty more.

Nov 22, 2011
good idea but not exactly sure how to do that and I have plenty more.
Well, if it's a question about the engine, for example, start a thread with the question in relation to the Yanmar 1GM. That engine is used in all sorts of boats and is not at all Cal 27 specific. The questions that were asked about the engine really have nothing to do with the Cal 27 as such. Likewise for many other things you may be wondering about that are not unique to the Cal 27. Someone who has no interest in the Cal 27 and therefore would skip your post might well be able to help if they know what your *real* question is based on the subject line.

Last edited:

cas206

May 15, 2012
Cal 27-3 Solomons
Some terrible head installation pictures at this link. I was rushed to get the boat ready for my 8 hour trip to the it's new home. I'll try to remember to take some that are more coherent. The holding tank is a solid box type, not flexible.
Head Pictures

Nov 22, 2011
Some terrible head installation pictures at this link. I was rushed to get the boat ready for my 8 hour trip to the it's new home. I'll try to remember to take some that are more coherent. The holding tank is a solid box type, not flexible.
Head Pictures
I'm wondering what's up with the circular crack around the thru hull in photo 2011 and 7711.

Oct 18, 2019
thank very much , for all the pics. Very much appreciated.

cas206

May 15, 2012
Cal 27-3 Solomons
I'm wondering what's up with the circular crack around the thru hull in photo 2011 and 7711.
Been a bit occupied with current events and I didn't get an email notification of your post. I'll make sure to look closer next time I'm down on the boat. Hope it's just a leftover marker (?) from builder or previous owner.

Oct 18, 2019
still working on many things but hoping a couple 27 owners could shoot me some pics of the way the main reefing lines are done both fore and aft on the boom as well as the connections on the mast. Attaching some what I have and not sure exactly how they should be run since PO dismantled them.