CAL 21 Clean up and out

Jun 18, 2011
Hunter 22 Low Country
Time to start making some changes and repairs to my CAL 21. The two quarter berths were rotting away so they had to go. So did the half bulkhead at the aft end of the quarter berths. Saving the bow berths for later.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2011
Hunter 22 Low Country
Fiberglass Dust

Did not think the oscillating tool would make much dust when cutting through the fiberglass but now I know better. I was wearing a T-shirt and shorts when I cut out the quarter berths and had an uncomfortable night afterwards.

I still have to sand the inside hull before painting.

Not sure if I want to rebuild the quarter berths. Maybe just one on the port side and a seat on the stbd side.

Anyone done anything similar?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Picture of Stock quarterberths. I just realised that I never sent you any, but I will need to figure out where I put those pictures of NODROG that I thought I stil lhad!

Attachments

Jun 18, 2011
Hunter 22 Low Country
Inside structures removed

Shot of the stern from inside the cabin. Note the rotted wood along the top of the transom, rudder backing and outboard motor backing.

Port side view of the swing keel housing showing the pivot point bolt and the arced hole for the pin. First time I have seen the pin hole arced instead of a simple hole.

Shot of v-berth area with all the structure removed.

View inside the cabin of stbd and port side of the cockpit deck attachment to the hull.

Attachments

Jun 18, 2011
Hunter 22 Low Country
Debris in cockpit from inside demolition.

Stbd aft corner damage.

Stbd side aft stern corner damage

Port side aft stern.

Attachments

Jun 18, 2011
Hunter 22 Low Country
Jun 18, 2011
Hunter 22 Low Country
Almost Done Inside the Hull

Almost done sanding inside the hull. I have a little bit left at the top of the inside bow.

Working on a jig to lift the hull up but first I have to stabilize the sides.

Attachments

Jun 18, 2011
Hunter 22 Low Country
It may have been a mistake to remove the deck/cabin from the hull. I just tried fitting the bulkhead ahead of the swing keel housing and the hull sides will require a great deal of pulling in to contact the bulkhead.

Any suggestions on pulling in the hull?

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Sounds like the hull "relaxed" and flexed outward. I'd try some heavy ratchet straps wrapped around the hull and slowly draw them up till the bulkhead fit right.
I'd start with at least 2 straps, one a little forward of the bulkhead and the other some behind.

Jun 18, 2011
Hunter 22 Low Country
Roadking Larry,
Thanks for the input. I agree that the hull relaxed. Note to self; next time brace the hull before removing the deck. :-/

Jun 18, 2011
Hunter 22 Low Country
Pressure washed loose paint off the underside of the deck and cabin. Found some damaged fiberglass but the only rotten wood is around the port and stbd chain plate holes. I'm happy the project didn't get any bigger.