Cabin Windows

Mar 3, 2021
Catalina 320 Santa Cruz
I've got a badly scratched cabin window on my Catalina 320 that I want to replace. There's no frame and I don't see any screws. Looks like it's embedded with mastic. Anyone ever replace one of these?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the site. If you go to the top of your screen, you will see a very dim window labelled "Forum search".

1614796993250.png

Just hit the orange Forum button and you will have a search engine which will take you to a library on fixed portlight and hatchlight repairs. And "yes" there are an enormous number of people who have undertaken this DIY project and many of them have videoed their work. Some are excellent, and some ...................... not so excellent :yikes: . You be the judge.

Attachments

• Helpful
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Good advice from Ralph. When you do your search, you might want to consider using the nautical term for your "windows" which would include "fixed portlights" because that's what many folks who have posted about their repairs call them. Good luck.

Jan 4, 2021
Catalina by Jaguar (UK) Catalina 22 Swantown Marina, Olympia
I've got a badly scratched cabin window on my Catalina 320 that I want to replace. There's no frame and I don't see any screws. Looks like it's embedded with mastic. Anyone ever replace one of these?
I don't have that experience but...you might take a look at this BoatWorks Today video showing how they are installed to get an idea how you'll get 'em apart.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019
Catalina 310 0063 Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa
I don't have that experience but...you might take a look at this BoatWorks Today video showing how they are installed to get an idea how you'll get 'em apart.
Catalina has a guide for how to do it that I will post for you if I can or you can easily find it on line. We have a 310 and are changing up the windows as soon as it is warm.

I spoke with the factory in Florida and they do not recommend using the VHB tape that is used in the boat works video. I was specifically told that it will cause crazing. All that is required is Dow 795.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019
Catalina 310 0063 Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa
Here are the instructions from Catalina for replacing the port lights. Good luck with it. BTW I was able to order replacement windows from the factory for a very reasonable price and they are from the original pattern for the boat.

Attachments