Cabin top winch relocation

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
Has anyone relocated the starboard side cabin top winch, the one we use for hoisting the main? On our 1983 MKI it's location is too close to our dodger frame making it impossible to rotate the winch handle 360°. I was considering remounting it more inboard. It seems like a fairly easy project and yes I know I'll have extra holes but I'll fill them with thicken epoxy.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Just beware not to have more than a 10 degree angle up or down to winch.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Remove the winch and move it around with the winch handle attached.... see what you can come up with before you start drilling holes. Dodgers and their frames vary from boat to boat...

Nov 14, 2013
Remove the winch and move it around with the winch handle attached.... see what you can come up with before you start drilling holes. Dodgers and their frames vary from boat to boat...
Yup, I know boats vary I was just wondering if anyone had already done this understanding that the placement is unique to the boat. Thanks for the recommendation of putting the handle in and doing some dry runs before drilling. Good call.

Sep 13, 2014
Catalina 30 Ventura
The first owner of our 1983 Catalina 30 relocated the cabin top winch aft and to port of the original location. You can see the original holes next to the clutches. We have two winch handles, a long metal one and shorter "floating" one and both work great and clear the dodger.
Measure twice, or ten times, and drill away!

Attachments

Bob Mc

Apr 7, 2012
Catalina 28 Worton Creek, MD
I had the same problem on my Catalina 28. First thing I tried was the shortest winch handle I could find. Problem solved.

Nov 14, 2013
I had the same problem on my Catalina 28. First thing I tried was the shortest winch handle I could find. Problem solved.
Wish it was that simple. Tried shorter winch handle years ago.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
it's location is too close to our dodger frame making it impossible to rotate the winch handle 360°.
I hear this all the time.

Could you please explain why you think you need to do this? Is it not a two speed ratcheting winch?

Even on my jib sheets, unless we're racing, I don't bother to go 360.

Nov 14, 2013
I hear this all the time.

Could you please explain why you think you need to do this? Is it not a two speed ratcheting winch?

Even on my jib sheets, unless we're racing, I don't bother to go 360.
Well......when hoisting the main it's serious PIA. And, with all due respect, if you "hear it all the time" I can't be the only one that finds it a PIA.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
my boat came with an original bill of sale so i know my dodger is factory supplied and the cabin top winch goes 360 just fine. i ask again, instead of all the work involved have you investigated motorizing the winch? beside being a nice addtion to the boat it would obviate the issue.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
And, with all due respect, if you "hear it all the time" I can't be the only one that finds it a PIA.
No disrespect felt. The reason for the "issue" is that I just don't understand WHY it is a "PIA". That was my question, if you go back and look.

You said:
when hoisting the main it's serious PIA.
I had asked:
s it not a two speed ratcheting winch? Even on my jib sheets, unless we're racing, I don't bother to go 360.
So, let's try this again: WHY is it a PITA to not be able to go 360 when you could just as well do back-and-forth 180s?

Thanks.

Nov 14, 2013
No disrespect felt. The reason for the "issue" is that I just don't understand WHY it is a "PIA". That was my question, if you go back and look.

You said:

I had asked:

So, let's try this again: WHY is it a PITA to not be able to go 360 when you could just as well do back-and-forth 180s?

Thanks.
I only need the winch for the last 5 feet or so and going back and forth, and it's a fair bit less then 180° that you can go, takes a lot longer then 4 or 5 full rotations. That and I'm always looking for projects (yeah, I'm a little nutty like that)

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
chrisings. my boat was a westbrook boat when i bought her. do me a personal favor and ask someone at pilot point how much to motorize you winch. they won't shoot you for asking.

Nov 14, 2013
chrisings. my boat was a westbrook boat when i bought her. do me a personal favor and ask someone at pilot point how much to motorize you winch. they won't shoot you for asking.
It's on my list of things to do.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I use my $500 28volt Milwakee right angle drill with an adapter. Charges very fast. This way I have "motorized" my two cabin top and two sheet winches.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Relocating might be most cost effective if you are good at it. Depending of you are planning to grow old with this boat or not, the idea of motorizing now might be cheaper in the long run. Using a DC tool to raise a main sounds reasonable but motorized winches are growing in popularity.
We just came back from a BVI cruise on a chartered 47' Leopard catamaran. I lift a lot of weights, cycle etc, but frankly, raising the main kicked my butt! It took me on the handle and someone else pulling the halyard to get it up in a reasonable time. The drum on the mast may have been too small or the track needed lube, or maybe it could use a longer winch handle, but a motorized system would have been nice. Frankly, I don't see how the average crew manages this boat. And we saw an all female crew on another cat.

Short article in Sail magazine
http://www.sailmagazine.com/gear/sail-rope-and-rigging/push-button-grinding/

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
On my C-270 the 10" handle hit the clear vinyl windows. I switched to an 8" handle for the halyard winches. Problem solved. I cant imagine a full batten 270 main being much lighter the a C-30s.